Disk Boot Failure

Mooney

Make sure the drive is set to first in the list. My old ATA drive won't boot if I have it 2nd, 3rd. It only boots if it's in first place.

Also, did you try fixboot? Any time I have had similar problems fixboot has worked when fixmbr didn't.

Make sure the drive is set to first in the list. My old ATA drive won't boot if I have it 2nd, 3rd. It only boots if it's in first place.

Also, did you try fixboot? Any time I have had similar problems fixboot has worked when fixmbr didn't.

Yeah, I ran fixboot and fixmbr. fixboot seemed to work, but when I tried fixmbr, nothing seemed to happen. Also, when GRUB tried to fix the MBR, it gave me an error that was something like "Error 25: Disk read error."

Also, this drive worked as the second device in the boot order (after CD-ROM) for a few good years, so I don't see why it shouldn't work now, but I'll give it a try.

Also, this drive worked as the second device in the boot order (after CD-ROM) for a few good years, so I don't see why it shouldn't work now, but I'll give it a try.

That's what happened to mine. After years of working ok it refused to work unless in 1st place. Even now I sometimes have to use the 'Boot from' menu when the PC starts up, usually F11/F12, and specify the drive or it refuses to boot into Windows.