B-rated / -priced Games... Something to ponder

I've got a philosophical question for y'all to mull over while I go and pick up Assassin's Creed. Do you ever think about buying a game, decide it isn't all that great, and choose to not buy it but then immediately flock over to BestBuy (or wherever :/) and snap it up when its on sale?

I recently found ludicrous half-RRP and less prices attached to Burnout Paradise and Assassin's Creed, both of which I'd assessed as fun weekends, but not keepers. Right now I'm wondering if, since I figured the game wasn't all that perfect, whether it would still be worth buying, sale or not? Should a game only be as good as its pricetag? Do you actually expect less of a half-price game just because its cheaper, or should the game stand on its own merits?

If anyone cares to weigh in on this, can you please try and keep the costs of game development and marketing out of the equation... I want to see what people think in a more instrumental sense.

It's called marketing... companies spend huge amounts of money to make you act like that... in return you give them money so they can keep spending it in making you spend more.

And yes we all fall for the well know trick :( We know it's a trick but we just can't help it.

Edited by Tynvar

I think if a game is good, it should be bought on release/soon after.

If a game is medi-core (Assasins Creed), it should be either rented, or bought after price drops.

I don't figure money to be the worth of a game, I just figure it a negotiation, the more boring a game appears, the less money it should cost before being bought.

Being somewhat of a collector who likes to get his hands on every PS2 game that has some redeeming qualities, I know that feeling. I scourge through my local GameStops for possible great finds almost weekly.

I found Beyond Good and Evil awhile back for $10 at Best Buy. In this case, it's not that I waited for it to be so low, but rather that I had been searching for a copy for a couple years, only to have it practically beg me to buy it. I'd call it at a $40 game, $50 if it were longer.

I also found Disgaea 2 at EBgames for $20. This one, after evaluation, was perfectly priced there.