Hopkins FBI help please

Ok I downloaded this game, and followed the instructions perfectly:

1. Copy hpokins.cfg to system folder ( ex. c:\windows )

2. Mount or burn image.

3. Quit the autorun, run setupXP.exe.

4. Choose maximum install and copy all svga.

5. Copy PATCH.EXE to install folder, and then run it.

6. Play =)

But I keep getting this error about maybe a minute into the intro. Anyone know what the heck is going on and how to fix this?

12040008fk3.jpg

Invalid buffer pointer.....hmm

Update soundcard drivers (If they are, using an older version MAY be a solution)

Check hardware acceleration level is at full (If it is, you may need to try lowering it with an old game)

I would imagine this is a Windows based app given the windows based error? If it isn't however, you might want to give VDMSound a try.

Invalid buffer pointer.....hmm

Update soundcard drivers (If they are, using an older version MAY be a solution)

Check hardware acceleration level is at full (If it is, you may need to try lowering it with an old game)

I would imagine this is a Windows based app given the windows based error? If it isn't however, you might want to give VDMSound a try.

It was originally meant for WIN 95. I remember VDMSound from a while back need to find that. Is it free when updating soundcard drivers?

Of course driver updates are free, so is VDMSound. I'm pretty sure VDMSound can be found on Sourceforge.

And if it's Win95, it's quite possible that it's command line based but tied to the Windows subsystem, I'd give VDMSound a try first for sure.

Just installed it again myself, you sure it's not there? You should have an entry for "Run with VDMS" on any EXE you right click.

If not, I'd reboot and check again, if still not there reinstall VDMSound.

Also you MUST be right clicking on the EXE, not a shortcut. The context is tied to EXE files only. Shortcuts are .lnk

Shouldn't, I can even click on an EXE in a mounted image and get the context menu item. So you can use it on an EXE located anywhere.

I'm clueless as to why it's missing for you. What OS are you running? Judging by that error you first put up, I'd say 98 or 2k. If 98, VDMSound won't work for you, and isn't necessary.

How'd you manage 98/2k windows appearance then? From turning Visual Effects off I presume?

When you said you "re-installed" it, I assume it was already installed on this Windows installation?

I'd suggest uninstalling it, deleting the VDMSound folder and going through your registry with REGEDIT looking for any entries that pertain to VDMSound.

Then reinstall.

How'd you manage 98/2k windows appearance then? From turning Visual Effects off I presume?

When you said you "re-installed" it, I assume it was already installed on this Windows installation?

I'd suggest uninstalling it, deleting the VDMSound folder and going through your registry with REGEDIT looking for any entries that pertain to VDMSound.

Then reinstall.

Ok thanks, will post results soon.