Unpacking and signing Nintendo WII Games

MasterPhW

For the manhunt2 hack.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?amp;showtopic...t&p=1004951

This is a double edged sword, I can see future online games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros being crowded with people playing with hacked discs where the karts go 400X faster then normal or do 2000+ damage a punch.

EDIT: Never mind seems reports are all ready in of people being able to cheat in Smash Bros.

Edited by emwearz

yeah I've never been a supporter of modifying the games themselves due to the ability to cheat. homebrew and backups are one thing but game modding and hacking is not so good 9 times out of 10.

I still don't understand what exactly is the point of this app. Does it allow you to play Wii backups from using the Zelda exploit? Or is it like a Winzip to only compress games and nothing else?

I still don't understand what exactly is the point of this app. Does it allow you to play Wii backups from using the Zelda exploit? Or is it like a Winzip to only compress games and nothing else?

The point is that without it you can't modify a game disk and have it work on the Wii (even with a modchip). This allows for modifying games [to remove region restrictions or censorship, for example].

In their readme, they say they're looking into adding support for dlc and savegames. That would mean you could used hacked savegames or signed homebrew (which would mean you wouldn't need a modchip and you wouldn't have to worry about the legend of zelda exploit being fixed (I think).

• 3 weeks later...
Could this allow unmodded consoles to boot backup games? I mean if you're signing and re-packing the games that's what it sounds like...

Possibly, however since you need a mod chip for the drive to read backups, I don't see how it would be able to read the disc. The closest to reading backups on a un modded wii is the Zelda exploit (which now boots data from the wii's front SD slot).

If you have a loz disk, you can run an exploited save, the exploited save could then run something like GCOS, which could then run a backup disk.