Australian PM Kevin Rudd says 'sorry', is a dickhead

BlackKnight

This upstart rookie gets in government, screws this country's international relations, bungles the economy and now says 'sorry' for something that will only lead to further misuse of the already poorly-managed budget. The last thing we need at the moment is to be paying compensation (it's going to happen, mark my words) for something that has nothing to do with anything.

It seems like everything this moron does is simply to show he has the guts to do the opposite of what his predecessor John Howard did. The problem is Mr. Howard made good decisions, and the country ran like clockwork for the last 10 or so years. I'm scared that Kevin Rudd and his Labor party will screw everything up and then hand their mess back over to the Liberals to clean up at the end of the term.

That's my rant- I can't stand our current government or its leader. Here's the issue that sparked today's dissident ramblings;

WITH just 361 words, the Federal Parliament will today seek to heal the hurt caused by past decades of state-sponsored ill-treatment of all indigenous Australians - not just those forcibly removed as children from their families.

More than 10 years since the story of the stolen generations was told in the Bringing Them Home report, the declaration of the apology will usher in a new era of recognition and reconciliation between indigenous and non-indigenous Australia.

The Coalition, which refused to countenance an apology when John Howard was leader, saw the final text last night and will back Labor's motion this morning, giving it the Parliament's full imprimatur.

The apology - to be read by the Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd - is extended to all indigenous peoples who were mistreated as a consequence of official government policy.

"We apologise for the laws and policies of successive parliaments and governments that have inflicted profound grief, suffering and loss on these, our fellow Australians," it says.

It lends particular emphasis to the stolen generations.

"We apologise especially for the removal of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children from their families, their communities and their country.

"For the pain, suffering and hurt of these stolen generations, their descendants and for their families left behind, we say sorry.

"And for the indignity and degradation thus inflicted on a proud people and a proud culture, we say sorry."

Controversially, it makes no mention of monetary compensation for the stolen generations, which neither side of politics supports but which some indigenous groups are demanding.

Good job closing them floodgates, Rudd.

Source: SMH.com.au.

PS: My post count is now a palindrome.

First day that parliament sits since the election and you're stuck into them already. You have to give them a year to know if they really have messed up, and not some carry-over from the previous lot.

But I do agree with you about this idiotic sorry day crap.

For those that came in late, back like about 50 or 80 years ago, the native Australians (Aborigines to most of you) were living in even worse conditions than now, and in some cases were unable to give their children a normal upbringing. So the government of the day took the children away, and handed them to foster parents, and this allowed those children a much better outcome in their lives.

Then, about 10 years ago, a group of stirrers decided to make an issue of it, wanting an apology for the "hurt" suffered then, and of course wanting compensation as well. The Howard government (and Howard in particular) said no way, because if the the government said sorry it would be like admitting liability and then litigation would be sure to follow.

Also, none of the people resposnsible for any of this was even alive any more, so why should we have to say sorry? And was it even a bad thing that happened back then?

So the new government gets elected, and decides to say sorry. Well, let's see what happens next, I sure as hell don't want my taxpayers money ending up being spent on a crate of booze.

I had an Aussie friend coming tonight and we just gone out for dinner.

We do talk about this issue, and he did say that the past government DID force the separation of children from the Aboroginal families and plant them into other families. It doesn't matter whether they are doing it for the well beings of the children or simply they are trying to integrate the Aboroginal into the society, but by force?? isn't it a little too much?

I had an Aussie friend coming tonight and we just gone out for dinner.

We do talk about this issue, and he did say that the past government DID force the separation of children from the Aboroginal families and plant them into other families. It doesn't matter whether they are doing it for the well beings of the children or simply they are trying to integrate the Aboroginal into the society, but by force?? isn't it a little too much?

Worse things have been done in that past. The point here is, what difference does an apology make? Everyone knows it happened- it is not as though previous governments denied it. Saying sorry is not their responsibility though. As was said earlier, everyone who did it and almost everyone who had it done to them is now dead. Saying 'sorry' now opens a can of worms for no good reason.

Another thing people don't know; the forceful relocation of children wasn't just done to Aborigines; white kids from various classes in England were removed from their parents and placed down under as well. Why has that never been a topic for apology?