Enough of your useless chatter

Quoted from a site I won't give the name of.

"This was a news post on one of my favourite private trackers that will go unnamed here. Most regular ****** readers will probably remember when Eric D. Wilkinson, the producer of an independent film called “Jerome Bixby’s The Man From Earth” contacted us about the piracy of their film and the fact that this piracy had helped put their relatively small film on the map. Well today I have similar news. Benn Jordan, who goes under the artist name The Flashbulb, has uploaded his latest album (Soundtrack To A Vacant Life) to a private tracker with the following message in an HTML file:

The Flashbulb wrote:

Hello listener…downloader…pirate…pseudo-criminal…

If you can read this, then you’ve more than likely downloaded this album from a peer to peer network or torrent.

You probably expect the rest of this message to tell you that you’re hurting musicians and breaking just about every copyright law in the book. Well, it won’t tell you that.

What I would like to tell you is that my record label understands that a large portion of people pirate music because it is easier than buying it. CDs scratch easily, most pay-per-download sites have poor quality and ****ty DRM protection, and vinyl is near impossible to find or ship without hassle.

In many cases I wonder why people buy CDs at all anymore. A few like the tangible artwork, some haven’t adapted to MP3s yet, but most do it because they have a profound love for music and want to support the artists making it. Kind of restores your faith in humanity for a moment eh?

So, now what?

Like the album? About to go “support the artist” on iTunes?

Well, don’t.

Alphabasic is currently in a legal battle against Apple because NONE of our material (Sublight Records included) receives a dime of royalty from the vast amount of sales iTunes has generated using our material.

Want to buy a CD just to show your support?

If you don’t particularly like CDs, don’t bother.

Retailers like Best Buy and Amazon spike the price so high that their cut is often 8 times higher than the artist’s. Besides, most CDs are made out of unrecyclable plastic and leave a nasty footprint in your environment.

If you do particularly like CDs, buy them from the label (in our case, alphabasic.com). After manufacturing costs are recuperated, our artists usually receive over 90% of the actual money coming out of your wallet.

In addition, all of our physical products are made out of 100% recycled material.

Want to show your support?

Go here and browse our library of lossless, DRM-free downloads.

Already have that?

Then feel free to donate whatever you want to your favorite artist. 100% will go directly to them.

Hell, you can even donate a penny just to thank the artist.

If you really like ‘The Flashbulb - Soundtrack To A Vacant Life’ and want to show your support without it going to greedy retailers, distributors, and coked-up label reps, then click the button below.

[link to http://www.alphabasic.com/index2.htm ]

If you send us your mailing address, Alphabasic may occasionally send you various goodies (overstocks, stickers, even rare CDs) in appreciation and encouragement for your support.

Thanks for reading.

Who knows if my little business plan here will work to fund new releases, but even failure is better than the crappy label/distributor/retailer system musicians have suffered from for over 50 years.

We hope you enjoy the music as much as we do releasing it.

Finally, if you plan on sharing this release, please include this file. The only reason it is here is to show the listener where he can support his favorite artists!

Benn Jordan

CEO - Alphabasic Records

Personally I love seeing this kind of attitude in people that create and distribute media. It shows that people still create for the love of creating and that the true joy lies in having people enjoy your art."

And this receives a big :bounce: from me. FTW and I'm gonna download that album so I can see if it's good or not.

edit: ok, wtf, your quick edit is borken.

edit#2: if anyone is thinking something along the lines of "he's a nobody, it won't make any difference" here's a can of stfu http://www.last.fm/music/The+Flashbulb. Ignorance is not an excuse.

edit#3: http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/story/0,,2241544,00.html -> might relieve the moral pain you get when downloading music off P2P (yeah, right...). Also, very enlightening.

edit#4: Here's the RS links. Seriously tho, fix that damn quick edit feature. It won't ever complete my changes...

part 1: http://rapidshare.com/files/88361779/The_F...Afaz_.part1.rar

part 2: http://rapidshare.com/files/88361778/The_F...Afaz_.part2.rar

For those of you who care, I can't confirm if these are scene releases or P2P just yet.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude that's awesome, and most artists should follow. Since it's true what he says, CD's , Itune's, etc..., don't bring artists any form of $$$, so why the hell bother (this is why smart musicians have ended up forming their own labels).

Also, I tend to symphathize, and have bought cd's before, you can't live off of love, so in order to continue living and doing what you love, you need a way of paying for your needs.

Dude, for some reason, I want to go out and buy my own server. Start a website, that completely torrents everything, using method of "Free Art" (where the ratings come in the forms of donations, and the website receives 20% donations while 80% goes toward the artists), in which it only gives away music. But man, keeping up bandwith , and for popular songs, that'll be extremely hard to do, or at least I feel as if it will, idk, I want to get into business, It'll suck if this idea gets used and I find out success is the outcome.

Right, just a quick warning tho. It's electronica so you guys might not like it. But hey, it's always fun to try new genres out, eh? Rapidshare links attached to main post.

edit: (reply for bellow): Thanks Robert, that duplicate thread really annoyed me... It's because of the quick edit not working that I accidentally made two threads. Don't ask me how, it all happened way too fast.

Fun fact, while Radiohead did release their album online, about 60% who ordered the album off the site were for the DiscBox. People out there still like physical releases, but direct lable or directly from the artists themselves is a huge plus. They get more revenue that way.

Radiohead is now so rich, it's beyond filthy on how much they made on the album alone. Yorke mentioned that the average for the pay what you want model was 4 Pounds. Multiply that by, I dunno, about half a million, and they are friking rich.