Another GameSpot staffer leaves

Frank Provo, a writer for GameSpot (amongst other gaming publications) since 2000 has left the company. The interesting part is that in his blog post of farewell he names the Jeff Gerstmann scandal specifically in his list of reasons why it sucks to work for CNET.

It's true, I'm no longer contributing to GameSpot.

I believe CNet management let Jeff go for all the wrong reasons. I believe CNet intends to soften the site's tone and push for higher scores to make advertisers happy.

I won't lie to people and tell them a game is good when it isn't. I won't downplay negatives that readers have a right to know about.

And so, the "Frank Provo era" at GameSpot ends after nearly 8 years of contributions. March 2000 through December 2007. It was a nice run.

I feel sorry for the GameSpot staff that have to continue to work there because they have no choice if they want to be able to pay bills and feed their families. For such upstanding people, the CNet overloads have created the ultimate soul-crushing work environment.

Whether you know or care who he is, this is bad news for CNET who were likely thinking the whole thing had blown over by now. Between Provo's accusations and GameTrailers' biggest news of 2007 being the so-called 'Gerstmann-gate', they should be expecting flak over this for some time to come.

Source: GameSpot.

Good for him. he and Gerstmann should start a new site devoted to honest reviews. at least we know we can trust their reviews.

I don't blame them, they probably feel horrible working for a company that orders them to lie about a game, that's just wrong... All for the sake of money. If you want money then put more time into the game, if CNet wants to keep its game devision of its network they need to stop accepting bribes from lazy game developers.

I played Kane & Lynch though it looked good. The gameplay feels cheap, and it only feels much worse playing on the ps3 with a sixaxis controller.