My taskbar disappeared

Krosigrim

OK. I was looking at Front Mission 5 information today, and I came across the official page. It was in Japanese. Well they had a few downloads, so I went ahead and downloaded them, so I could see what they were. Well one was a screen saver, so I decided to (install) it. When I did, spybot asked if I would allow a registry code change for screen saver, i clicked allow. Well, it apparently asked if I wanted to go to the options, so I clicked yes. well the screensaver options came up, like when you right click on your desktop, and I clicked preview. Well it had an error, and didn't open. Anyway, after that message, I noticed that the taskbar was gone. WTF...

Anyway, I'm currently searching through the internet, looking for a solution, but I figured id post my problem here, in case someone here can help me quicker than I can, searching through all the BS. I just don't know. Perhaps uninstalling, or removing the screen saver information might suffice, but I gotta remember where these "programs" are located. But what about that registry I changed, do you think I need to fix that? And if so, how do I go about fixing that?

Simple enough of a problem, it's just, I keep sifting through alot of BS answers, like "type explorer in the new program feature, in task manager" what the hell kinda answer is that, that only shortcuts your features. I need a fix, not a way around this....

Oh sweet. Found a fix. If anyone has this problem, this site had an insta-fix.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

And to Weirdy, who is in this thread, in case your trying to post help, thanks in advance for whatever you are submitting!

By the way, what about that registry change? Is that something normal? Because I don't often have that option, so it seems irregular to me. And I'm ignorant. Does it pose a problem? Or are registry keys not so important. (in this situation, screen savers) Is cleaning my registry keys beneficial?

Edited by Belthasar

Belthasar, your shell is loaded on startup via a registry key. That program merely does what other fixes would do, such as a reg key saved to a file, but with a pretty interface.

Infact, everything that tool does appears to be tied to the registry.

As for cleaning your registry, yes it is a good idea, unused keys make the registry larger(filetypes that are no longer used, such as for an uninstalled program, file locations that no longer exist, null value keys)........and we all know what larger files cause. Slowdown.

A smaller, cleaner registry will let your computer boot faster as well as work faster when it is running. Use proper programs designed just for that though, that are reputable (sporting favorable reviews).