My dvd drive won't ready any dvd data discs.

SF2MJ

My dvd drive won't ready any dvd data discs.

I put in a dvd with data files on it that i burnt from another pc and i get a message saying the dvd disc is blank.

Plus my dvd drive says dvd-ram drive on it.

It won't detect dvd movies either.

It only detects the windows xp disc.And it plays my music cd's.

What could be wrong?.I checked the drivers and it says they are installed and the device is working properly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by SF2MJ

Best bet is to check which type of DVDs your drive can support. There are some issues where some drives can't dectect certain types of DVD types or brands or even Multi-session discs from different DVD Burners.

A DVD-RAM drive? Lol haven't seen one of those in ages.

Basically what you have is not a DVD-ROM / DVD-/+RW drive. It is backward compatible with CD-ROM formats, but not with DVD-ROM since it is an older format than that. Also a DVD-RAM disc =/= a DVD-ROM disc. So sorry, but your data DVDs and movies will not play on that drive.

Yeah, DVD-RAM drives should support regular DVD as well, it would be pretty weird if it didn't

Anyway, If you have an LG drive, I had one that started doing this randomly for awhile, it was really annoying. The way I fixed it was I found some custom firmware for it. I don't know why it was necessary for me to do this because it used to read them fine, the official firmware should have worked fine. Its still kind of a picky drive about brands of media though, as long as I don't use some cheap brand it works okay though. The only reason I still have it in my other PC is its awesome for overburning CDs. (Which didn't cause it, this drive was known for being a good overburner which is why I got it in the first place)

My LG drive supports DVD-RAM, plus CD and DVD formats.

But yours will have DVD-ROM logos on it as well. I'm assuming his only has DVD-RAM- old RAM drives can't read normal DVDs.

'Tis is true.

Huh? That's a crock, any DVD-RAM drive will support DVD formats PERIOD. DVD-RAM is an on-the-fly recording standard, and standalone home DVD-RAM recorders also read DVD movies. The ONLY issue there could be here, is that he's using +R/RW discs, and the drive doesn't support those. Normal pressed discs and -R's should work fine.

This is probably a chipset driver issue otherwise, I'm willing to bet $100 his PC is running a VIA chipset of some type if that's the case, as this kind of thing is a VERY well documented issue, especially with regards to SATA devices/chipsets.