Wii now #1 selling console this generation so far

Gryph

Nintendo's Wii has taken over Microsoft's XBOX 360 in console sales this generation, 9 million vs. 8.9 million. This is number of consoles sold to consumers, not the amount sold to retailers (a dubious figure that Microsoft loves to throw out).

What took Microsoft almost 2 years, Nintendo did it in almost 1. And Wii sales don't seem to be slowing down any while XBOX sales have basically flatlined (or reduced) for quite a while. Perhaps Halo 3 will bump up sales for Microsoft but I don't think it will be enough to offset any of Nintendo's sales. This holiday season is going to be very interesting.

Remember when everyone thought the Wii was going to flop?

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/48914

And of course Sony is lagging far behind.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried up all the next gen consoles available.

Wii

- Interesting concept. Using the WiiRemote is the obvious attraction.

I only tried it on Wii Sports and it seems to play well

XBOX 360

- it is just like a souped up PS2 with better graphics. So far, not many

games attracting me to it

PS3

- really need more games for it.

- tried VF5 and GT: HD. VF5 is a disappointment. Graphically looking

good but gameplay-wise it is a letdown though. However GT:HD

is a really eye-popping game. The graphics look like a real thing,

with the crowds at the road side and such. I am really looking forward

to GT5: Prologue and GT5.

Having tried all 3, I must say Wii will win in the battle between the consoles. Reason is ........... Wii has been pirated!!! XBOX 360 has also been pirated but due to the heat problem with XBOX360, it had not caught the interest of the people here. PS3 is still the most expensive which can caused you up to USD 550++ with only one wireless controller and a game. Wii is causing USD400++ with chip modification

and the remote without the nuchak. Pirated games are USD4++ a piece.

Same goes for XBOX 360.

Reporting on the local pirate scene.

Upon further inspection LSD, VF5 is not a let down, but it certainly didn't bring anything new the to table like when it went from 3TB to 4 (then to Evo + Final Tuned). Well then again, the PS3 version is an older version of the game, seeing how once the PS3 version was released, a newer VF5 version was released. Thus far the 360 has introduced something will make it gain mass appeal in the Americas, online play.

But remember, this isn't total domination. The real race always starts around this time. I do bet M$ will sell more 360s because a ton of most wanted titles are coming out AND newer 65nm processors as well. Which are set for Q4 I believe.

But, I do think once Final Fantasy hits, it will make or break the PS3. After the disastours Lair :naughty:

Everyone said the same about Lair and heavenly Sword, but I still don't see anything that will really sell the PS3. Play UK magazine even give it a 10/10 (Heavenly Sword) despite the fact that the game is very short.

I'm not surprised the wii is the top seller it's the CHEAPEST of the 3 consoles and it appeals to kids and women. but the machine has ran out of innovations for me, there's only so much of shooting pool or playing golf i can do. metroid 3 was just ok to me and zelda got tiring after playing it awhile. the 360 doesnt have many must play titles either they get all the hype because they were the first next gen system out and their excellent online system. and while halo may be ok sad to say many pc games have been there done that way before halo did it, again halo just gets its hype for being the one of the first console FPS to have a decent control scheme without using a mouse and keyboard, since most of today's youth arent pc gamers they are console gamers. the PS3 has a lot of promise but just like with the 360 and the ps2 and prolly every console that has came out the developers need time to learn the hardware and they really need to improve their online thing to the xbox level even if that means charging for it, and i think home is a step in the right direction. I have all 3 consoles so this is a total unbiased non fanboy post.

Conclusion:

I can't get an XBOX360 becos the console here has been modified and

I can't change it if the red ring of death happens.

I am still waiting for PS3 to have good games released. GTA IV, Tekken6

and MGS4 are tempting but these games are not out yet.

So, is it a Wii for me? As what solidus said, i dun think i can stomach so

much of Wii-swinging all the time

Maybe i just stick to my PSP :naughty: