Manhunt 2 banned in UK, Ireland, given an AO rating

Mooney

Well now, it may be even harder to get. Sony and Nintendo both refuse to license the game. And, since the game is not available for 360... well, you can do the math.

Things just keep getting worse for Manhunt 2 fans. If the upcoming title maintains its Adults Only rating, the Nintendo Wii and Sony PlayStation won't allow licensing or playback of the game. The "Nintendo Buyers Guide" says in black and white, "Please note that Nintendo does not sell or license games that carry the ESRB rating 'AO' (Adults Only)." Sony spokesman Dave Karraker told Joystiq, "Currently it's SCE's policy not to allow the playback of AO rated content on our systems."

Since the game isn't even available on the XBox 360, Rockstar's options are pretty limited. It comes down to either editing the game to garner a lower rating, or have a console game with no console to play it on. Sure, they could port it to the PC, but all the development of the console title would be wasted, and I doubt that's in the cards. Besides, even as a PC port, there's that little issue of retailers not carrying 'AO' rated games. The only other option would be a straight online distribution, and that isn't likely to result in the sales needed. We'll have to see what Rockstar decides to do.

Source

This sucks. I thought the first Manhunt was fantastic for the grimy setting it created, the story, the voice acting and the stealthy gameplay.

I predict that it will also be banned in Australia, because the Australian government cannot think for itself.

I think this is a good thing. Not because i support the decision they made (backstabbing flocks, even an organization that does nothing that support free speech backed this) But because its going to boost sales!

Look how much free advertising and attention they are getting. And an AO Rating just makes it cooler to have. Look how many people where getting Thrill Kill imported and freaking out about it trying to get a copy because it was "the banned game" and to tell you the truth the game was flocking horrible, It was just cool to get or whatever.

and wait a minute, they are worried about distribution for the PC!? They SHOULD release the game completely uncensored on the PC, Even if they edit the other ones and call it a directors cut. And it would be easy to distribute because the PC is so far ahead in digital distribution, They could probably even get it on Steam!