microtransaction

Mag

Did you guys think paying for small downloads such as, lets take The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion for example. Paying for something like Horse armor for your horse or for a short sidequest as little as maybe 2 bucks on the Xbox Market. Do you guys think it's worth it? I mean I certainly disagree on every aspect. This maybe the most genius idea for corporations to decide because it's good profit. Time development for these microtranstions is fast and most likely gamers (especially gamers who are either very wealthy or hardcore fanatics) would go through paying these small changes for a little additions or so on to extend further gameplay.

And maybe rediculous possible microtransaction such as shorter load time, soundtrack, alternative/extra endings and so forth..

what do you guys think? is microtransaction good or bad ?

It depends on how much value you personally attach to the $50 pricetag of a game.

I personally think its the biggest rip in gaming history. One because charging for small pieces of content is immoral. Two it detriments the modding relationship people have had with games from way back- effectively putting a dollar value on what used to be free.

Finally, if for no other reason, the prices charged are terribly disproportionate to that of the boxed product. Oblivion costs $80 here. That's for all the questing hours, all the assets, all the music- the whole experience. $80. The horse armour costs us something like $10. How the hell does one little addition like that constitute 10% or more of the purchase price???

Expansions are a different story if only because they cost less, but add almost as much new content as the original game, but simply to an old engine. I'm fine with that, but not cool with microtransactions, or the concept of subscription MMOs for that matter either.

I can't say I support them, that's for sure. It's appalling that they want us to pay for something like horse armor. Especially with Oblivion, the Elder Scroll series really caught on with Morrowind because of its modding community and the easy to use construction kit. I haven't looked into it in a while, but Oblivion didn't ship with a construction kit.

This other stuff you listed, too. Faster load times? If they can make my game load faster they should just do it, not make me pay for it. What the hell? Same with extra endings.

Soundtracks I could understand costing money. In a way is still kind of feels like a ripoff, but they've been sold separately for the price of a music CD for some time now. Of course, if it's just an in-game soundtrack, like a test feature, than no, that's bullshit.

As said before, it depends on the content being offered. Patches of the game are free but extras like new maps/cars/characters will always cost money unless someone sponsors them.

The thing is, it costs time and money to create these extras that people essentially want. Most of the time it's just distribution company though, for example Microsoft wants Epic to charge people for new maps even though Epic has stated that they will offer all their extras for free.

I personally don't like it as most of the stuff offered isn't necessary for the game unless you want to extend it's playability a bit further.

I don't like microtransactions since it means developers start thinking of stuff to leave out of the game for the main release and then sell it to us. But then again, as primarily a PC game player I've been used to being given stuff from the developers for free so that kind of clouds my judgement.