multi-track first session burns?!

some ISOs have more than one track per session, and these will not burn regularly. is there something special i have to do before burning them or what?

an example is the guilty gear ISO, which has about 12 audio tracks on its first session, then the data is one track in session 2. another is REZ, with just 2 audio tracks in session 1 -- no dice. any game with only one track per session burns fine (A120% @ up to 24X, RAW DAO), but without REZ, my life just is not complete. help me guys. :P

------------------

screw online petitions, send real mail directly to Sega and others!

What format are you ISOs in? Are they actral .iso or some other format?

Edited by Haldrie

they are mostly .cdi, some mdf/mds, a couple are .ccd, and the odd .nrg

i should update this by saying that one game, unreal tournament, which had 19 "injected" (via an unpack.exe + inject.exe) tracks in session 1 burned fine. and also under defeat, which i think had 2 1st session tracks, also burned. but the rule still generally applies.

You're doing something wrong then, because those are simply selfbooting images with CDDA audio. Try mounting the image with Daemon Tools, and doing a "Disc Copy" from the virtual drive the image is in. That's how I burn all my stuff, Dreamcast or not.

As far as my experience with .cdi format just about everyone I've ever downloaded was corrupted. The only way to find out if they do work before you burn is to mount the images and make sure that it actually shows the files. If you get an error message saying the disc is corrupted then you have a bad image and no matter what you do it won't work (even if you burn it).

Now I'm guessing that these are Dreamcast images that you have. If the problem you are having is that the discs simply won't play on the Dreamcast then perhaps the image was not made to self-boot. If that is the case then you would have to download software to make a self-boot disc. There are also boot disc images for the Dreamcast that allow you to swap discs with a non-selfboot disc and play it. This of course would be a lot easier since the images for these kind of discs are only about 1MB. I think the name of it is Utopia or something like that. I have images for it and it did seem to work in Chancast when I tried it. If you want it I can send it to you.

BTW the .nrg format is Nero.

burning mounted images with a120 does not work, i dont know why. but i am also curious as to why copying a mounted image should work better than straight-up burning?

the problem isnt about selfbooting; i tried using first a dc-x, to see if it was a region issue, then a utopia cd, and neither would load the game("the game" being about 10 different coaster-copies of Rez, burned with different programs-a120, cdrecord, nero-, on different burners, from different images- mdf nrg or cdi- with different methods- speeds, RAW DAO/TAO, using sim burns...).

the files do appear in explorer, so i know the burn was successful.

i dont mean to shoot down your solutions, but ... any other possible ways to fix this?

Hm... Wow this definitely a problem that I have never ran into before. The only way I can think of being able to fix this is if I hade a copy of the exact same image file(s) that you have so I can really be able to see what the problem is.

Although...

Check in the root directory of the discs and see if there is an IP.BIN file. If not then this might be the reason why you games won't play. There are games that use a different file other then IP.BIN to boot but it's not very common.

yep, there's an ip.bin, and a bunch of folders named after planets - i'm guessing those are the names of the levels? - and there are even some music tracks, but the sound in them is really weird. the same files and folders appear from several different image sources.

aye, 80 games and still without the one I want the most...

[spiralling camera shot from above:] REEEZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well then the only way that I can think of to help you is if I could get copies of the exact images that you have. I guessing you downloaded the images you have but it is against the rules to post links to ISOs, roms, ect. However I don't think it is against the rules for you to e-mail me the links. I do have a bittorrent client if they are torrents however I am also using dial-up internet so it will take some time before I can get the images even if you send me the links. You can get my email by looking at my profile card.