Getting Owned

I saw this article in Wired which just shows the many ways of tring to control consumers

http://www.wired.com/news/columns/1,70802-0.html

As this is known to many but the people still learning about comps and could be family members who aren't as experienced with the internet trash spyware/malware etc.

and I saw another article link on Slyck regarding pvr and commercials

Someone Has to Pay for TV. But Who? And How?

"This thought followed my first reading of a patent application for a new kind of television set and digital video recorder recently filed by a unit of Royal Philips Electronics at the United States Patent and Trademark Office. The design appears to threaten the inalienable right to channel-surf during commercials or fast-forward through ads in programs you've taped.

A second, calmer reading of the patent application revealed that the proposed design would uphold the right to avoid commercials, but only for those who paid a fee. Those disinclined to pay would be prevented from changing channels during commercials. If the viewer tried to circumvent the system by recording the program and skipping the ads during playback, the new, improved recorder would detect when a commercial segment was being displayed and disable the fast-forward button for the duration."