Pricing out parts for a new box

I'm pricing out parts for a new system so I can figure out what I'm going to need to tell the wife to scream at me about lol

I already know a few things I'm doing outright, so don't try and tell me otherwise. I don't want to hear ANYTHING about going SLI/NvIdia, I mean it.

I'm going with these parts:

Motherboard - Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (Venice core)

Video - Dual ATi Radeon x1600's

What I don't know about:

RAM - DDR is confusing PC used to = , now I don't understand the sh!t. I'm knowing I need Dual Channel 400Mhz DDR, but wtf do I look for? Whats all this PC2100, PC3200 bullsh!t? Right now I run PC800 RDRAM, plain and fuxing simple. 400mhz dual channel = 800 effective. I don't understand the confusing crap with DDR.

Video (Crossfire) - Can I run only 1 x1600 card until I buy another? Information regarding crossfire, and the motherboards I've looked at don't tell me this.

Beyond that, I can pretty much use my exisiting hardware until I can afford to upgrade whats left, save for needing a more powerful PSU (400w ain't gonna cut it for that much hardware, now is it?)

That would either be PC3200 or PC3400 I don't remember exactly. Or I could be completely wrong. It's because we started running out of numbers to use.

Regarding Crossfire, the board itself has to specifically mention that it's Crossfire Ready.

And I know you don't want to hear it, but the 7800 is the best bang for your buck at the moment over ATi's cards.

PC3200 = 400Mhz. The next level of ram is PC4200 = 533Mhz

And I know you don't want to hear it, but the 7800 is the best bang for your buck at the moment over ATi's cards.

No, ATi's X1000 series kicks all Nvidia ass. :P

That would either be PC3200 or PC3400 I don't remember exactly. Or I could be completely wrong. It's because we started running out of numbers to use.

Regarding Crossfire, the board itself has to specifically mention that it's Crossfire Ready.

Of course I know that, the x1600 is Crossfire ready. I just want to know if I HAVE to run 2 cards on a Crossfire board, or if I can just stick with one and buy the 2nd one later.

I assume this has to do with Oblivion? :P

I'm not sure if "inside your PC" is in CA(lifornia) but if so, you might check out Directron.com. Their prices aren't bad to begin with, and no CA tax ftw. Every time I need parts I shop around, and usually end up coming back to them. Oh, and their RAM section lists speed and PC# side by side for ease of use.

Edited by Daeval