Best Peforming Solderless Modchip Solution?

Alpha

if i bought one of those modchips would it be just as easy to boot to unmodded/modded? It needs to be really simple because my brother is a dolt and i dont want him getting our xbox banned from live.

That isn't a concern if you are using an Xecuter BIOS. The Xecuter BIOS' block Live access so you wouldn't be able to connect even if you wanted to. It's a nice feature.

What I find funny is that while disabling a mod for use on Live, you can still be banned for content found on your hard drive that shouldn't be there.

They could, but as far as I know it's never been proven that they (MS) have ever done that. Some people who are paranoid of that very thing keep their C: and E: partitions stock. You can boot off the F: partition and leave everything else bone stock. And it doesn't matter what's on F: because the original XBox BIOS has no way to access it.

I've got an older xecuter 2.6ce with a xapt3r and it works fine, never came out of aliagnment. my old matrix came out of alignment every other day it seemed like.

if you aren't gonna have the front panal lcd and other 3.0 things I'd just get a 2.6. mine came with a little panal for turning the mod on and off, bank switching and something else I've never used and forgot about. hehehe

yeah and the halo mods are more along the lines of patched map files or modified save files.

about the switch, that sounds good, does that chip support booting from 2 HDDs? and i was looking up some of this, and it looks like the chip needs a bios, and then you need a loader? or is the loader optional?

as far as using 2 hdd's, you'll need to switch between them using a switch and a ide cable that can allow another hdd.

theres a thing called the xtender that replaces the xbox top and allows switching between 3 hdd's tho i must say its quite ugly.

i think its just best living with one big hdd and you can add the eeprom info of the old to the new so you don't get banned. the other option of course is getting another xbox for the mod leaving the other stock for live use.

and i was looking up some of this, and it looks like the chip needs a bios, and then you need a loader? or is the loader optional?

yeah you need to get a bios, what do you mean by loader? like to flash the chip? or to load games.

yeah i saw that thing, theres no way to just use a dual channel IDE cable? i know i would prolly have to leave my xbox open because it wont fit though.

and i saw some things called loaders, like new menus, but isnt that what the bios is? maybe the website was just using weird terminology

I would choose Smartxx v3, in fact I have installed one on each of my two xboxes, i like the eprom tools options and the 128 MB extended test for the aditional 64 MB, it has 4 MB onboard memory (3.5 usable), and I simply like smartxx OS, I have not had the chance to use an X3CE, but I am sure both have almost the same caracteristic, the one thig X3CE it is best its in documentation and support, you can find a lot of info about X3, but not so many on the Smartxx v3 or the versions before. another thing the samartxx is missing its a smartxx bios, you have to use a third party bios, on the X3 you can use the X3 bios plus any other third party bios you like.

I'm becoming more and more interested in the SmartXX with an xapt3r, however due to the lack of documentation, I'm not sure? Did you have a hard time installing it? How did you manage? Any bugs with your chip or in the OS?

if you're thinking of getting smartxx, i think you're better off just getting a x2.6ce +xapter

Actually, due to the lack of documentation with the SmartXX, I think I'll go with the Xecuter 3 CE and Xapt3r. Only reason why I'd go with the x3ce instead is because it has a backup flash and seems more reliable IMHO (+ more support in the official forums). One of our staff (iq_132) screwed up his flash and had to buy a programmer with the 2.6. I'd rather buy a chip that can last me a lifetime and never have to do any of that from future stupidity. There is also many 3rd party tutorials including the official tutorial for it as well. That is something that's very hard to find with the SmartXX and their forums completely suck at support. (many 0 reply threads)