Hard drive recorder

Hi. I didn't know where to ask this but I thought I'd try here.

I am thinking about buying a DVD recorder so I can back-up all my VHS tapes and also record everything from now on in digital. I am thinking about buying one with a hard drive. The thing I want to know is whether you have to burn the recorded material to DVD. Is it possible to use the stored video to either burn a data disc or simply LAN it across onto my PCs hard drive?

I don't like the idea of not being able to view my videos on my PC without burning a DVD first.

I have looked around shopping sites to see if such things exist but it seems as though the stored material has to be burned onto a DVD.

I'm not really bothered if the DVDs I burn cannot be played back on ordinary DVD players as I only want to watch them on my PC.

Sorry I rambled on but I just wanted to make sure you understand what kind of product I am after.

Thanks for reading and I hope you can help me.

I recently got one of those VHS to DVD recorder thingys. It works fine, but the DVD it made (a DVD-R) wasn't recognised in my computer.

What would be good software, to read DVD's, edit them, and write the updated clips onto another DVD?