Wifi software I would love to see

tssf

It's no doubt wifi will be cool when it's finished. Some software I would love to see written (mostly because I can't program myself, but am an advid homebrew user) are these:

-A Compact Flash file transfer between DS

-Virtual Nintendo DS Kiosk.. (WifiMe for Nintendo DS? This would be awesome, broadcasting NDS files from a program on a Nintendo DS so that others could play, say, an E3 demo)

-Mp3 streams.. AKA Nintendo DS Radio. :(

-A web browser, full-scaled website view on bottom screen with unscaled view on top screen, being able to scroll through the website with the simple drag of the stylus. (Kinda like, finger reading when you were a kid).. It's no secret that people want this, so it'sn ot very creative, but the way you'd scroll through the website..well, see, that'd be the part that very few people have thought of doing.. Everyone always simply assumed that a website would look like crap on the Nintendo DS.. We know it will, but I simply tried to think up a way where you could render the whole site, while still seeing it all, as well.

Hmm, it's late so I can't really think..but as soon as I think up some more, I'll post again. :)

Anyone have any ideas that would be cool? (Keep in mind that these ideas probably should be realistic ones.. Try to avoid the typical ones like "oh an IRC client" or "a basic IM client".. try something creative. A tool someone would love to use, for instance.

I like the scrolling web page idea. You should be able to double click on a picture and have it displayed on the whole top screen, that way, you are viewing it at size that is a little easier on the eyes than a scaled down more pixelated version.

I would also love to see the web browser also be active with im's so that maybe if you get a message, you can quickly toggle through web pages or conversations with a press of a button. With an os that probably wouldn't be a problem, cause you could just tap the toolbar or something.

Also would you be able to control the browser with gestures? You can do this on computers now but I never found them to be useful. But on the ds it could be a godsend, you know like a counterclockwise circle to go back, cw for forward, etc.

If there is a touch keyboard, it would be nice to have it not active all the time, maybe just toggle it when needed with a button or when you switch to an im client.

And lastly, what about a skype like voice chat program? Like would there even be enough b/w for something like that? Maybe just an interface to a program already running on your computer. It would be great if it was usable with something existing that way you could talk to people other than ds homebrew scene people. Like maybe just send and receive the audio and do the input directly into an existing program, like making the computer think the mic on the ds is the computers mic.

Anyway, keep up the great work, this stuff is easier said than done but the DS is all about creativity and seeing if you can make your ideas work. In my case, reading about you guys working!

I would like to be able to stream to teh DS. For instance, a Book reader app that can load the txt files wirelessly as you read then send commands to th ecomputer to mark your place adn whatnot so the flash card isnt filled with anything but the program calling to the computer.

DS. Torrents (preferably Azureus). 'Nuff said. Of course that would be insanely impossible to script with the Java and stuff, but it's creative! (And you'd need a web browser... and something to watch videos or music or whatever the hell you're downloading.. :P

Hey I like the idea of ds torrents! If you could hook up to a website with movies ripped and encoded just for the ds, that would be great. Mp3 torrents would be great also. But it would probably be a better idea just to make a server on your pc after it's downloaded stuff and just use the ds like a media center, something like how the xbox could access stuff on your computer like movies, mp3's, books and other stuff.

Edited by NoComply

Not sure I would like the idea of DS torrents, personally. Streaming is a good idea but I was thinking of software that was quick, easy, and awesome to use.

I like the skype thing bug I am more interested in an actual tool that would allow me to use my DS as a cell phone. Voice over IP, I used to use this thing called "Dial pad" when it was free.. and it was awesome.. using something like that to connect to actual phone lines (of course this would be an Internet server type service, and not something someone could actually write for the DS.

I'm sure the hackers out there will make a tool for the DS that will allow wifi hijacking, or things like that..

Of course there's the whole support of multiplayer in nesDS and snesDS (Though, snesDS might have some limitations. I can't really see playable SNES games with the sound emulated, AND the wifi stuff all running without at least some slow-down)

Ugh, the possibilities are endless, needless to say, fun times are coming. :P