Who would play one game for 100s on Hours on end?

heero

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their site is good in a sense that there's a huge database of games and their ratings. So you're saying that SA actually had 17+ instead of 18+ over there? That's odd.

All these ratings are crap. I don't think anyone who actually cares about what their kids do even looks at the ratings. I personally believe that the restrictions on ratings should be removed, all they do is force parents to be with their kids as they buy a game.

Desensitization is bullshit, too. What sense are kids losing? I've lost a bit of my eyesight and hearing, but that's it. Games don't remove this "sense" people speak of, as it isn't inate in humans. It's something that has to be taught, and in most cases it just isn't.

Edited by LordKanti

A voluntary non-government controlled ratings system has to exist, of course unless you want the games you play to be heavily monitored by the FCC. Would you rather it be like Australia or Brazil where they ban games? There has to be a ratings system because some games just aren't suitable for everyone. If I had a young kid I wouldn't want him/her to play Manhunt (not because it's a bad game but because of the content). I would not be overly censoring but there are certainly some games that I think some kids should not play.

no not really but they are stupid. i remember gta:vc about 2 years ago (2003). it was on the news. someone at eb sold it to a 10 year old kid and they said some crap that people dont realise who they are selling it to. The guy that worked at Eb got fined and they changed the rating of gta:vc to MA.

A voluntary non-government controlled ratings system has to exist, of course unless you want the games you play to be heavily monitored by the FCC. Would you rather it be like Australia or Brazil where they ban games? There has to be a ratings system because some games just aren't suitable for everyone. If I had a young kid I wouldn't want him/her to play Manhunt (not because it's a bad game but because of the content). I would not be overly censoring but there are certainly some games that I think some kids should not play.

If you don't want your kid to play it, you have to stop your kid from playing it (and I'm not saying he/she should be able to), that's your problem. These ratings don't keep kids from playing games any more than the games desensitize children.

And as long as I'm bitching about crap, the FCC is bullshit, too. It's a free country, and I should be able to read, watch, or play, whatever the flock I want. The entire government is way more controlling than it should be.

So you think removing the ratings is going to help? You're really an idiot if you believe getting rid of the rating system will fix anything. The ratings system isn't at fault, it's the idiot parents who don't pay attention to the ratings and the retailers who don't enforce it.

I would love to live in a world with no censorship but I'm also realistic and don't expect such a thing to ever happen.

Myself and Mr. G think alike, although I do believe that the rating system the USA uses could use improvement, and it's being abused by people like Jack Thompson.

So you think removing the ratings is going to help? You're really an idiot if you believe getting rid of the rating system will fix anything. The ratings system isn't at fault, it's the idiot parents who don't pay attention to the ratings and the retailers who don't enforce it.

I would love to live in a world with no censorship but I'm also realistic and don't expect such a thing to ever happen.

Wait, what? I think you've missed my goal. My goal is to remove restrictions on purchasing goods. The rating system itself is just a tiny label in the corner of the box, I don't care about that. Enforcing a ratings system is what I'm against. While a world without censorship is stretching it a bit much, I believe that a country without it is possible.

I suppose I was a bit misleading in my first post by directly stating a belief I didn't believe in. :D I'll edit that.

Removing restrictions would be good but there will always been a need for a scapegoat. :D But there needs to be something on the game box that describes the content from an unbiased 3rd party for people to evaluate if they should buy it or not.