Problem installing any win os for a thinkpad 600x

ok, this is my cousins pc and i first had it setup with win2kpro and was fine for a few months untill it got the bsod not being able to get into win2kpro in any way.

so i then thought i'd try putting in win2k again but it gave me ochi1394.sys or pcmcia.sys is corrupt error when i tried doing a fresh install yet this is the same cd i used when i installed it before and on other pc's :( i tried another copy and gave me the same result.

i then said the hell with it and tried installing xp, it gave me setupdd.sys could not be loaded error and this happend even on my legit xp home edition cd :lol:

so i'm like WTF and i then tried older windows 95-me, all gave me errors either dealing with the cab file or some other file.

now heres the kicker: i thought it was his hdd that went bad so he got a new one and still the same errors; thought it might've been his dvd-rom not reading the cds right so he got a refub dvd-rom and still the same errors; my last thought might've been his ram gone bad, bought a new 128mb stick and still the same errors :P

the one thing i know he hasn't replaced that does need replacing is the laptop's battery as its dead and the cmos battery was dead but i already took care of that and it didn't cure his problem either heh

anyone have any ideas what could be done?

one last note, he doesn't have a floppy drive but i can get access to one.

Edit: after doing some digging around, i believe i killed the new watch battery by soldering it so i'll get a new one tomorrow heh

well i fixed the watch battery problem and bought a new laptop battery and even flashed it to the latest bios release but still no luck on getting any of the win os's to install with exception to win2k which now goes to "Setup is starting windows 2000" but nothing more :devilboy:

i think i'm just gonna give into a shop cuz i really have no idea what could it be and i'd like to get this sucker running since its mine now :D

The culprits all seem to point to the system bus with what processes cannot be started. My guess would be that theres a problem with the north bridge. Maybe it's overheating, maybe it's dying.......but either way, if the chipset is goofing off, the laptop is pretty much bunk and dumpster material unless you can get your hands on a replacement motherboard.