DSemu-0.4.1 testing

Robert

Test Results - changes from 0.4.0 will have (*) after them.

BIN

===

2d-emu : works, red cherries missing

2dexample_arm9a : works, red cherries missing (*)

4sprites : emu freezes

4tiles : works

armwrestler : freezes emu

balltest : freezes emu

battleship : no touchscreen

birds_arm9 : emu freezes

birslip : black screen (*)

bug : emu freezes

calc_arm9 : runs, no touchscreen, no keyboard display

carre / cassebrique / cube_emu : emu freezes

davr1 / davr2 / davr3 : same as before

draw-arm9 : black screen

drops_arm9 : black screen (*)

dsbonga / dsmode4dc / dsmode4ep : emu freezes

dspaint : same as before

dspaint_r4, dspaint2, duckhunt, earth : emu freezes

first1 : works

footjonglage, frogger : emu freezes

hello_paint, hello_world : black screen with a single white dot (*)

joats_template : bottom screen slowly changes colour (*)

mcommand : freezes emu

mines_arm9 : no touchscreen so cannot start it

mines_arm9a : top screen is black, bottom screen is blue. Nothing more.

mode3pac : black screen

mode6, musk, nibbles10, oil_panic : emu freezes

pandaforth : same as before

pongDS, rotshape, ship_emu, sman, smantouch : emu freezes

smeal_arm9 : black screen

snakes : emu freezes

sponge_arm9 : top screen red, bottom screen blue, emu freezes

tetris-1p, tetris-2p, texture_emu : emu freezes

tile02 : runs, no touchscreen, debug area is missing

tri_emu, under_pressure : emu freezes

NDS

===

birds : score appears then nothing more happens (*)

carre, electroplankton, fearog3d : emu freezes

framebuffer_demo1 : a little red box moves across the screen (*)

hello_world, meteos, metroids : emu freezes

mixed_cubes : black screen

neoflash : black screen (*)

nibbles11, oilpanic, omalone, polarium, shootds : emu freezes

space_invaders : top screen is black, bottom screen filled with random characters, top screen started running the game and then the screens swapped (*)

sphere : emu freezes

sponge : runs, corrupt graphics (*)

sprite : black screen

submarine : emu freezes

super_mario_64 : black screen

table_hockey, tetris10, tetris11 : emu freezes

texture : black screen

transformer : black screen (*)

viewer, zelda_gallery : emu freezes

Summary of changes: The crashing problem has been fixed. The freezing problem is mostly still in evidence.

I tried a few GBA demos, they all caused an immediate crash, so something got broken there.

Thanks for that. I'll work on the freezing this weekend. The remaining crashes and problems seem to be in the ARM7 interrupt handling code. Probably needs the same tweak as the ARM9 code did. Hopefully i'll also get debugger breakpoints added as well.

I just wanted to say thank you to you, Chris Double. I can't tell you how happy I was when I visited DSEmu.org for the first time in two months to discover that someone new was working on the project.

That's not all though. Not only have you breathed new life into DSEmu, but you have regained the old spirit associated with DSEmu: it isn't about commercial games or features as fast as possible, but spending awhile to get the core working and slowly build up.

Unfortunately, I use Linux 100% and refuse to go back to Windows until the spyware/adware issue gets to be virtually destroyed (never). I will, however, give you all the updates on DSEmu running in Cedega, Wine, and (as soon as I get a copy) Crossover-Office.

So thank you, Chris, and keep up the good work.

P.S.

robbbert: I'll try to get on IRC to ask you about this (hope you use IRC) , but I'd really appreciate it if I could get ahold of your demo collection. A burning hard drive destroyed mine and I'd love to be able to participate in testing again.

Thanks for that, I appreciate the kind words. I've put up a new version ,0.4.2:

http://www.double.co.nz/nintendo_ds/dsemu.html

There are quite a few important fixes in there and it runs all of my own demo's to some degree. That is, they at least start and display correctly. The page above shows the list of fixes.

There is an issue with tile display and I've somehow broken something that was working in 0.4.1. I changed code to get text to dispay correctly (so my demo's display text displayed using ndslib's console output routines) but it has caused some demo's to display their graphics incorrectly. I'll be working on this next.

I also fixed a couple of memory errors, where memory was being free'd twice causing a crash/corruption.

I use Linux about 90% myself. I've recently used Windows more just to do DS development. My flash linker and the wireless multiboot stuff is all windows based unfortunately. My day job is 100% linux development though. So I'm keen to get things working, firstly under Wine, and secondly natively. I welcome any help from anyone who provide code porting to any OS.

I notice under Wine 20050111, which I'm running, that as you can start DSEmu, but as soon as you run a.NDS file it crashes. I'll try and find out why this happens and work around it. For a full port two things would be required:

1) Compiling under GCC. Some of the code uses inline assembler so this would need to be moved to GCC's syntax. Apart from that it seems quite portable.

2) The UI. I think SDL would probably be the best choice there?

Neither of these are priority for me though since I'm keen to get it running better first. But hopefully in the not too distant future.

SDL would probably be the best considering it doesn't rely on having any Window Managers (like Qt to KDE and GTK to Gnome) and it comes standard on pretty much any distro.

Also, I have yet to try DSEmu in Cedega. It contains a lot of libraries and runtimes that Wine does not.

EDIT: robbbert: I'd really appreciate it if I could get ahold of those demos. What could be the best way to contact you? Also, I have an FTP server set up that you could upload to. Oh, and no offense taken if you're too busy. I'll be tracking some down in the coming days anyways.

Edited by sigloiv