Prey is back!

Gryph

This is a response to my question if the game is extremely dark like Doom 3.
Well they're not fullbright but they're certainly not pitch black either - yes its lighter than Doom 3.

There'll be no PREY IS DARK LOL jokes based on what can be seen in the article anyway!

DAMN!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious about this portal technology thing.  Your quote is all I've heard of it, but it sounds like something the Unreal engine has been able to do for a while now.

Unreal does static portals only. The Serious Sam engine did that as well. The one the Prey engine has/had were dynamic. It was mathematically a 4D engine because it had rips in space. I don't really know the technical details so I can't really explain well but it's something that hasn't been at this level since the original Prey engine. Also, portals can be implimented into any engine according to George Broussard.

It's like rips in space that connect two geometric areas. Imagine you're in a game and you're in a cave and there is a portal. Through it you can see a tropical forest, if you walk through that portal, you will be taken there instantaneously. And now imagine if those are dynamic as in they can be made anywhere and in any position. It's really weird to describe. It technically allows for deformable terrain since all geometries are handled dynamically, as opposed to BSP engine where everything is rigid in a BSP tree. The Red Faction engine was a portal engine. It's just really hard to work with them apparantly which is why the game was scrapped the first time.

Luckily I was able to get my hands on the PC Gamer article from a lucky subscriber and the dynamic portals are definitely in. :lol:

I removed the links since PC Gamer is cracking down on it the 3DR forum. If you want to see them, just PM me.

I'm definitely buying this issue. The game looks awesome and from what I read the gameplay will be magnificent! I haven't been this excited about a game in a very long time. If you want the entire article, just PM me your email address.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

Those shots look incredibly badass. Does Prey have it's own engine, or does it use n existing one (let's say a tweaked Doom 3 engine for good measure)?

It's an extremely modified Doom 3 engine. They got the license to it around 2001 which is when the engine first came out so they've had plenty of time to do stuff to it.

What's suprising is that, as far as I know, only this game and Quake IV have licensed the Doom III engine.