First Impressions

Robert

My tests on Dualis v3 produced mostly happy results. In fact I'm quite impressed and I think it's the leader in DS emulation so far.

Bad - cannot load NDS files, only BIN ones. I pasted in the NDS filenames and they all crashed the emu.

Bad - cannot drag a BIN file onto the emu in explorer like you can with DSemu.

Bad - The two screens aren't cleared before starting a program, so previous results can make a mess of the new one.

Tests with BIN files:

----------------------

2dexample-arm9 : works! touchpad on bottom screen draws things

battleships-arm9 : the intro looks very nice indeed, and is animated. I couldn't figure out how to play it, or to get the top playboard to appear

cube_emu : works!

davr_arm9 : works? continuously changing display at the top, this looks right to me

draw-arm9 : works! use touchscreen to draw in the bottom screen

drops-arm9 : works! use touchscreen to make water drops in the bottom screen

dsPaint : works! similar to draw-arm9, you can choose from a palette, and a "debug" output in top screen

mines-arm9 : works! touchscreen is really touchy - I assume this is the way the demo was written

nibbles : works! the snake actually follows the touchscreen pointer. Nifty!

pandaForth : works! use the touch-keyboard to enter characters

pongDS : works! But can leave half-balls around the place - ideas works better with this

ship_emu : works!

tetrisARM9 : first failure - writes rubbish in the play area causing the player to instantly lose.

texture_emu : just a white square in top screen - the drunken logo is missing

tile02 : the typing works, but is out by one character horizontally

tri_emu : works!

under_pressure : bottom half of "atoms" are missing

Overall, a most impressive result. Good work MIC.

Bad - cannot load NDS files, only BIN ones. I pasted in the NDS filenames and they all crashed the emu.

This is mentioned in the ReadMe and on the website. It can only run arm9 binaries because it only emulates the main cpu. And that's why the "Open ROM" dialogue only accepts .bin files.

texture_emu : just a white square in top screen - the drunken logo is missing

There's no texture-mapping support in Dualis at this point.

tetrisARM9 : first failure - writes rubbish in the play area causing the player to instantly lose.

Might have to do with it not clearing VRAM. Try running it as the first ROM and it should work.

Why don't you try R4? ;)

I concur with all his tests, and also:

Lights.bin: It seems to work, it shows a flat shaded ship (could be missing the essential things, lights)

Yes, if TetrisARM9 runs first, it works.

Lights.bin simply crashes the emu. I didn't report it because I thought it might have been a GBA rom (couldn't remember). I might have a wrong version of it.

Edited by robbbert