Will somebody stop the madnes!

Lucandrake

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to use your judgement. My 10 year old brother can play any violent game he desires. Unreal Tournament, Halo, Silent Hilll, whatever. I know he will not go around "shooting" things in his imagination. he knows it isnt real and not to go around acting like hes shooting people.

On the other hand, will i let him play grand theft auto? Hell No. There is subject matter in that game that just isnt appropriate for his age.

I'm with the Shade on this one. Extreme ultra violence isn't going to make your kids go shoot stuff. Certain games (mainly ones involving "gangstas"[not gangsters, as those are respectable people]) just shouldn't be played. Ever. They shouldn't have even been made. The last thing we need to do is reinforce the poor black urban stereotype.

Madness will stop when parents actually give a damn, and not the government.

It's natrually the parents' fault in this. Minority vs Majority.

Dude parents suck now and days, we don't have parents now that actually give a damn, maybea few, and most just "pretend" to care, like they'll call you up, ask you were you are, and then hang up saying kk, my mom does that sometimes, and it always happens with my friends.

The fact is their turning to the government to do their work in parenting. it states in the friking constituion that Congress shall have no involvement in this kind of thing!

Dude, I noticed that, once I was at a certain place I wasnt sopposed to be , (don't want to get arrested so I aint going to say) , and then my friend ran away telling everyone else that why are you here, our parents have to pay more to the gov so that they can care less about me! He was depressed and it was ryo that said that...

Whenever i hear about this guy flames shoot out of my eye sockets and it really hurts so i wish he woud STFU

Seriously though what a douche bag...Blaming video games is the bottom of the barrel of excuses

With the close minded ways they think, Heres an intersting point.

In video games, you, the player have to commit the acts of violence, so you have a choice to do it or not.

In movies however, you dont have a choice, and you will see violence and blood and all that and theres no controlling it.

So wouldnt a movie be worse?

In my opinion, video games have an effect equal in importance to that of TV, music, books, or movies - not significantly any more or any less. All of these things are popular mediums for creative output. Creativity comes in all shapes and sizes, and some of it is clearly NOT for everyone, in ALL of the above media. The difference is that Americans (and others) know what to expect from most of those, but not from games. Games are still in the age of the Atari in thier minds - consisting of abstract kids' games of logic or skill. They don't think of them as creative canvases capable of capturing the realism or feelings of the other popular entertainment.

The media, in the meantime, is having a ball at the public expense - making a spectacle of every misguided case brought before a judge. Those who don't understand cry outrage, those who are familiar with games cry foul, and the media picks the most sensational voice - that of the angry mob - to amplify and draw more ratings. In turn, the public and the government, respond to the misguided angry voices and ignore the voice of reason.

This ignorance should filter out in a generation or so - as new adults are increasingly familiar with video games as they really are. However, if some hand-holder bill is passed to "protect" us from this "evil" new phenomenon, it may take longer to come around.