Zinc Help Needed

Robert

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a play with the cfg files, and now the other computer (the one with win95 + trident card) has good graphics.

But it's sooooooo slow, much slower than mame. Any way to speed it up, as I understand that Zinc should be faster than Mame.

Edited by robbbert

I had a play with the cfg files, and now the other computer (the one with win95 + trident card) has good graphics.

But it's sooooooo slow, much slower than mame. Any way to speed it up, as I understand that Zinc should be faster than Mame.

Disabling sound is pretty much the only thing you can do to speed it up and of course lowering the resolution (but that doesn't help much in the end).

Strange, since ZiNc IS faster than MAME.

Since you're using zincgui, try some of these to improve fps -

- Change Texture filtering/caching/quality to lower values (or 0).

- Change blending to 0

- Turn off scanlines and dithering

- Lower resolution

- Turn off sound

If that doesn't work, you can try frame skip and changing the frame limit to 60, but that may make the graphics stutter.

Setting a frame limit doesn't really do anything if the games don't even run at full speed. :) Framelimiting does speed up overall emulation a bit, but ergo, it drops frames (not that's it's very noticeable).

• 2 weeks later...

Even on my P4 Zinc now runs slow So running it on old PC's is just silly to even consider

I have a few old pc's and I do not waste my time trying to run emulators on them. As most times you never get full speed.

Frameskip = bad

Automatic frameskipping does help considerably, and it doesn't even look bad. However, seeing his video card, I'd say the same thing as you did James.

Well, robbbert never posted his computer's speed and available RAM.

Automatic frameskipping does help considerably, and it doesn't even look bad. However, seeing his video card, I'd say the same thing as you did James.

Well, robbbert never posted his computer's speed and available RAM.

I think he might be better off with the older Zinc It seemed to run pretty well on older machines

Oops sorry I thought this thread was dead.

My games machine is my usual win95, however it got an upgrade yesterday. The bus speed went from 66 to 100 mhz, which changes the processor speed from 333 to 500 mhz. The old slow 192mb of ram was replaced with a single 256mb 133mhz stick. The video card is the same Trident card with I think 4mb on it.

Due to a resultant NTKERN error, I removed the USB support that never worked anyway.

In mame, neogeo games increased from 3-4fps to 15-20fps, which makes them quite playable now.

Zinc only had a slight difference, running at 3fps instead of 1fps. Still, if I wait long enough, Rival Schools attract mode has a very very nice 3d picture. It's just slow.

If a P4 isn't enough, then there is no point persuing the matter further. It will have to wait until I can get a modern computer - and I'm in no rush at this time.