American RPG's

AndymaN

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Morrowind - Easily one of, if not the, best original american RPGs in recent memory. Fallout would be a very close second, and it barely even got a nod in this thread.

The D&D games are good, but are based off of well-established pen and paper stuff, as someone else pointed out. Planescape: Torment was my personal favorite, mostly because I already loved the Planescape setting.

I hate Japanese RPGs with a passion. I'm sorry but to me they just suck, I get bored of them in less than an hour. I don't even consider them role-playing games (I have a real D&D and such mindset so that'll explain everything) because you don't create the role that you play and there usually aren't multiple ways to approach a situation. They give you some faggot character with stupid hair and a stupid name with a gigantic head to walk around and talk to generic people (and almost never multiple conversation paths) and participate in repetative battles with the same slime goo over 100 times to level up. Not to mention I hate the universes they are set in. But my hate for Japanese RPGs (especially Final Fantasy...GOD I HATE FINAL FANTASY!!!!!) is not the issue here. I stopped playing them since the SNES days, if things have changed (which I doubt they have) then I'll reconsider. I'm sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. :P

Ok, here are the good American RPGs:

- Akalabeth (predecessor to Ultima)

- Ultima series (except Online and Ultima IX. I am shocked no one here mentioned them...you bunch of fags :P)

- The Bard's Tale (the old ones...not the new one)

- Wizardy (very underrated but good)

- Elder Scroll series (someone only mentioned Morrowind...the other two are awesome too)

- Wasteland (the predecessor to Fallout which is the greatest RPG EVER)

- Might and Magic

- Any of the Dungeons and Dragons games by SSI like Eye of the Beholder and Pool of Radiance

- Baldur's Gate 1 and 2

- Neverwinter Nights

- Planescape: Torment

- Temple of Elemental Evil

- Arcanum (sooo long, I haven't beaten it)

- Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2

- Shadowrun

- System Shock 1 and 2 (yes, they are more RPG than FPS so shove it)

- Deus Ex 1 ONLY! Deus Ex: IW was a consolized piece of crap. (see above)

- Freedom Force

- Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (Redemption was crap)

- and finally the best of the best...FALLOUT 1 and 2.

As you can see I play a lot of PC RPGs. It's my second favorite genre. To me RPGs are games where you create your character from scratch and then play the game in a style you like. American RPGs have that kind of gameplay style with character creation and stats with several conversation paths and multiple ways to achieve a goal.

And Fable isn't technically American, it's British but it's better to split RPGs into to categories, Eastern and Western.

I'm the exact opposite of Mr. G, but I don't hate western RPGs. Fallout is good. For the record I still consider Diable and Diablo II to be RPGs. (They have character development, so that's an RPG in my book).

Edited by Agozer

Diablo (and Dungeon Siege...god that game is boring all you have to do is click once and the game plays out for you) is iffy ground. I consider it a hack and slash because it lacks much of the character interaction (besides killing) I like in regular RPGs. But I can see how it is characterized as one and wouldn't argue too much about it. It's fun as hell so that's all that matters.

I think Baldur's Gate was created by a Canadian company. Oh well, all the same. Dungeon Siege comes to mind for an American RPG.

It was created by Black Isles and published under Interplay. Afterwards, most of the BG team moved on to a little company called Bioware[also Canadian <3].

D&D ruleset is by far the greatest thing to ever come into existance. Thus truely define "Role Playing Game" as seen in the west.

True character limitations are scene within the West with all their predefined characters. Although I like playing them, nothing beats creating your own character and beefing him/her up [bG <3, Fallout]

One great thing about Fallout is, shooting someone and end up hitting a wall, killing a dog and hitting your self in the foot AT THE SAME TIME.

Reminds me of that time I was playing D&D and one of my friends missed completly, hitting someone else, a cat and air.

D&D ruleset is by far the greatest thing to ever come into existance. Thus truely define "Role Playing Game" as seen in the west.

If you're talking about the old 1st/2nd edition stuff - yeah, it really defined a genre. It's outdated and everything now, but it definately did its fair share of good.

3rd Edition is not bad, and it works well for a video-game port, but it's only "better than most" as far as pen and paper games go. I prefer the Exalted rules when it comes to actual roleplay as opposed to dungeon romping. (white wolf's fantasy RPG Exalted, not the extreme-good-aligned D&D 3E rules that were dubiously named the same thing)

Also, the whole "open source" thing for the D20 system was really good for wizards of the coast, and it made a lot of stuff available for players (most of which is complete crap that rode in on the wave), but it sure stifled creativity in pen and paper games for a while. Thankfully, companies are starting to break away from it now.

I'm talking more about AD&D 2nd Edition and D&D3.5. Although I prefer playing AD&D 2.0, 3.5 ain't as bad as I thought.