Hey all

RFLAGG

Hey, I was looking around on some info for the DS, because I want to develop games for it (I'm glad it's close to the GBA, I won't have to relearn as much!) and I found this site.

I don't know how much I could help out, but I'll be downloading the sources tonight and taking a peek around. I'd be happy to make a linux port, since I'm used to linux coding (and use it everyday) and I'm gonna be trying to make some demo's too.

Anyways, if you guys are interested just say so.

Evening,

It'd be fantastic if you could port the emu to Linux; the only problem would be if you can understand the mess that is my bunch of code. Do get back to me, it'd be great to expand this.

Haha yes, well I was looking over the code, and was a bit shocked at first :censored: Not many comments, but I think I'm starting to piece together most of the parts. From what I've gathered, all I would need to do is change the code:

1) From DLL's to *nix libs

2) All the WinAPI stuff to Qt / wxWindows / etc / etc

3) Any graphical stuff to SDL (unless it already is, I haven't gotten that for yet)

The main part is 1), but I'm guessing it wouldn't take *too* long.... I'll try sometime next week (Very busy this week) and see what happens.

Also, if all goes according to plan, it should basically be compatible with all *nix OSes, (or at least 99.9%) including the BSD's (freeBSD, Mac OSX)

EDIT: This was all compiled in vc++ right?

Edited by RFLAGG

1) From DLL's to *nix libs

2) All the WinAPI stuff to Qt / wxWindows / etc / etc

3) Any graphical stuff to SDL (unless it already is, I haven't gotten that for yet)

This was all compiled in vc++ right?

Yeah, I know about the code comments and stuff; I may get onto that in the near/far/very far future.

1) I actually had a cross-platform way of doing that (it'd compile to DLL or.so depending where you were), can't remember where it was. Please keep in mind that I'm considering splitting gba.dll back into its component parts [arm7, gpu, key, and so forth].

2) Sure, Qt or GTK (or a wrapper like wx) would be no trouble at all; you could finish that off in about 3 minutes, I'd guess :lol:

3) The graphics right now is WinGDI. I've tried to format it so you can replace the GDI-blits with SDL-blits and not have to change all the backend drawing code. Of course, you may have issues with the multiple windows, I dunno.

And yeah, it's all in VC7 (the free commandline jobbie).

kthx

UPDATE

- It still gets about ~1,000,000 compile time errors, but at least I made the makefile work

- I've got all the "need to fix for *nix" code seperated

- Need to add your recent changes into the code im using.

and wow that's it, let's throw a party. This week is the last week before Christmas holidays, so once it's over I'll have lots of school-free, uninterupted time to work on stuff, so it won't take long.

- It still gets about ~1,000,000 compile time errors, but at least I made the makefile work

Well. They're all warnings, and most of them are to do with casting for Windows functions, so don't worry.

- I've got all the "need to fix for *nix" code seperated

- Need to add your recent changes into the code im using.

The only changes I've made recently are to remove one line from win.c and hack the Makefile. Not much.

and wow that's it, let's throw a party.  This week is the last week before Christmas holidays, so once it's over I'll have lots of school-free, uninterupted time to work on stuff, so it won't take long.

Yay, parteh. Christmas should be a good working period, I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Well everything is ported, cept a lil bit to do with the DLL -> lib conversion. Since this is so early in development, I think I'd be in my best intrests to wait until you've got the design figured out (you mentioned splitting up the DLL's etc) I know it wouln't cause me that much more work, but I'm a lazy lazy man and am currently working on a mock-engine for a DS game (I just got mine today - christmas - such a beautiful thing it is, so powerful and small) I'll clean up the code sometime soon and post it. Merry Christmas everyone.

p,s, I read (most of) that ARM pdf you have on the site. Wow I think I've gone braindead. I wish I could remember/understand half of what I read.

*update*

Okay, I'm about 50% done converting the dll's to lib's. One problem has become apparant though. I've merged all your updates into my source fork, but that took a considerable amount of time. Right now my source should compile on both windows and linux, because it uses #ifdef's to check what platform it's being compiled on, and only use the necissary code. So, the question is, do you want me to keep maintaing the Linux port, or do you want to use my source (which compiles the same under windows), the downside being that the code is alot bigger (and it sucks seeing other peoples code in your work) or for me to just make patches for your code that the Linux users can apply to make it compile?