dealing with a Mac computer

Xeon

hi all,

my friend asked me to do some research on Mac as we may use it to troubleshoot someones machine. because of this i decided to ask a few questions as i dont even have a clue on where to start.

1.) the last time i heard (which was a long time ago), Macs use a different kind of processors but uses the same type of harddrives (only differs on formatting). the question is, is it possible for a Mac to be formatted to use Windows?

2.) the only real reason we have to troubleshoot that machine is because the owner of it lost his password and can only log on to it as a user. someone else changed the password, is it possible for me to know that password? hacking or a program that can do it is what i have in mind, but dont have a clue on what resources i could use/accessible to me. this question may be breaking the forum rules though.

3.) can someone direct me to a "Mac-for-Dummies" kind of site if it isnt too much to ask?

i would definitely appreciate if i could get a relevant reply. i didnt post this in the PC Technical Help because..well....its just not a PC thing :\

1) No. The only solution to use windows on a mac is to use an emulator. One of the best is VirtualPC, unfortunately it's not free.

2) MacOS X is based on OpenBSD, reputed to be the most secure system nowadays. So it could be pretty hard to get the password so easily. However maybe such a tool exists, but since passwords are kept in a crypted database, well...

3)Sorry, I don't know any.

If you find no other solution, you can try to reinstall the system as a last option.

EDIT:

This should be of use to you.

FYI, in the future, remember google is your friend. If you can't find something using Google, you're trying too hard (ie: using too many words)

The link you gave is about windows, not MacOS. However, maybe John the Ripper could help if the pass is not too complex.

Edited by taratata

1) No. The only solution to use windows on a mac is to use an emulator. One of the best is VirtualPC, unfortunately it's not free.

2) MacOS X is based on OpenBSD, reputed to be the most secure system nowadays. So it could be pretty hard to get the password so easily. However maybe such a tool exists, but since passwords are kept in a crypted database, well...

If you find no other solution, you can try to reinstall the system as a last option.

EDIT:

FYI, in the future, remember google is your friend. If you can't find something using Google, you're trying too hard (ie: using too many words)

The link you gave is about windows, not MacOS. However, maybe John the Ripper could help if the pass is not too complex.

If you read his post, it sounds like he wants to use a MAC to troubleshoot a PC that someone forgot the password to. If this wasn't the case, why would he be asking about formatting a hard drive with a Windows filesystem, using a MAC?

EDIT:

If you read his post, it sounds like he wants to use a MAC to troubleshoot a PC that someone forgot the password to. If this wasn't the case, why would he be asking about formatting a hard drive with a Windows filesystem, using a MAC?

thanks for the replies, i think this is enough for me to stop with the idea.

taratata's right. im talking about MacOS password, and if theres just no way knowing the password for it, then the plan is to convert it to a PC. but from your replies, i guess thats just not possible (i figured as much) :thumbsup1: