Google Offering POP3 to GMail Users

Gmail has recently added POP3 services to their free email accounts. This would allow someone to use gmail without ever seeing any of their advertisements. They are also providing SMTP, both POP3 and SMTP are forcing the use of SSL/TLS. Very interesting...now where's IMAP and what's the catch?" It's being phased in, though, so not every gmail account yet has POP access.

Finally this is what I've been waiting for. :lol: GMail is officially the best free email provider.

:D

Awesome. But the point of Gmail is the ads so they can make money, how are they going to make a profit of off this? I wonder if this will be a free feature forever.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

I thought about this a while ago, and I'm curious if they could add the gmail ad banners to your incoming pop3 mail? If they stuck with the minimalist flavor that runs through the web-mail version, I wouldn't be opposed to this at all. I'd much rather that than pop3 become a pay service in the future.

Ah, from this page: http://gmail.google.com/support/bin/answer...10350&topic=194

POP access is free for all Gmail users and we have no plans to charge.

Interesting.. time to setup thunderbird...

yep, definatly a chance to use thunderbird now, w00t

Google is one of the best companys in my opinion, i wouldnt mind working for them at all, and its supposed to be a great place to work.

And also extremely tough to actually get a job there. They only accept cream of the crop engineers and technicians. I too wish I could work there...be their onsite doctor or something.

DOC! I WENT TO UPGRADE THE FIRMWARE, AND IT JUST....EXPLODED....PLEASE....EXTRACT THE PIXELS FROM MY FACE.....IM LOSING BLOOD FAST......

lol ok that was just horrible and not funny, but i probably wont get a job there either, the Cisco class im taking is already pissing me off too much.

Connect a PC, to a hub, then a router, that router to another router, then that router to a hub, and that hub to a PC.

Wow, thats like what? 250+ dollars in equipment (they are the HUGE expensive kind) Heres an idea, Spent 2 DOLLARS ON A GODDAMN CROSSOVER CABLE AND SAVE ALL THE CONFIGURATION BULLSHIT AND HAVE EVERYTHING BE AUTOMATIC....

jeasus christ i needed to let that out....