Nintendo laying the smackdown again

Gryph

Yay! More litigation news! I seem to posting a lot more of this recently...what the hell!

Anyway, you know those fake N64 controllers with all those old school Nintendo games that sell under the names "Power Player," "Super Joystick," "Superjoy," and "Powerjoy."? Well they have now been given a temporary restraining order and all mall accross the country have been told to tell the kiosks that sell them to pack up and leave.

I always wondered about the legality of those things because the mall near me sells them and now my question is answered.

In a major first step in its efforts to stop the sale of infringing products throughout the United States, Nintendo of America Inc. filed the action against two companies, its officers and employees after receiving tips from more than 400 of its loyal fans. In response to the specific court order, U.S. marshals will seize the counterfeit systems at shopping mall kiosks in the western Washington area.

In addition, Nintendo is supporting numerous federal criminal investigations and U.S. Customs has seized tens of thousands of the infringing devices upon their entry into the country, all of which are assumed to be headed to malls across the United States for illegal sale.

Source: http://ve3dboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=17363303

You can also find the entire press release there, I don't want to post it here.

yeah i seen one of these things in a mall, it was playing super mario bros. and just by that i knew that thing wasn't gonna last too long heh

a friend of mine bought one the other day and told me its suppose to have like 7600 games :P and then told me as he goes by page by page its almost the same stuff :P

yeah i seen one of these things in a mall, it was playing super mario bros. and just by that i knew that thing wasn't gonna last too long heh

a friend of mine bought one the other day and told me its suppose to have like 7600 games :P and then told me as he goes by page by page its almost the same stuff :P

Same here. I walked through the mall and saw those nes packs and thought... maybe I should call the cops on them :D :D

Edited by iq_132

Those controllers were sold in stores here too. I didn't understand the whole "illegal" concept that time, so the whole thing just went past me. I never even bought any of those.