What's a good PSX RPG?

Sultan

I'm looking to buy a few cheap old PSX games to play on emus. I only played a handful of RPG's on my roommate's PSX in college, so I bet there's a ton of good ones out there I can try. So what are some of the best RPGs for PSX that will run 100% on an emulator?

Also, is espxe the best emu to use? The games I've tried all looked fine, but it did tend to lock up my computer a lot. Not sure why.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a few of them. General rule, stay away from those games that were ported from the SNES; the originals are much better.

Tales of Destiny

Tales of Eternia (Tales of Destiny II for you US folks) (this has to be one of the greatest games on the system)

Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth

Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete

Chrono Cross

Wild ARMs

Wild ARMs 2

Final Fantasy Tactics

Dew Prism (Threads of Fate)

Valkyrie Profile (flock yes)

Vandal Hearts II

Xenogears (flock yes ver.2)

Breath of Fire III

Breath of Fire IV

Arc the Lad games (all three)

SaGa Frontier

SaGa Frontier II

Star Ocean: Second Story (flock yes ver.3)

Persona 2: Eternal Punishement

Grandia

Legend of Mana (flock yes ver.4)

Suikoden

Suikoden II

Legend of Dragoon (no matter what some people say)

Vagrant Story

Hell, all of these are great. I've tested them all and they work great in ePSXe; there are a few issues withg some games that are quite easy to fix. If you can't get some of them working or you get weird bugs, drop me a line.

Thanks for the list Agozer. Looks like a couple of those are sequels to games I loved on the SNES. I'll try those first.

Do you remember offhand which games on the list are most similar to the LUNAR series (with lots of voices and great cutscenes)? Those are my favorite RPG's of all time. That might help me narrow it down to a few to buy.

The only ones closest to Lunar would be Grandia and maybe Xenogears.

Most of the games I listed have very few FMV cutscenes or none at all (apart from the opening/ending FMVs of course).

In most games, the the cutscenes are made with the game engine, and very few of them have recorded voices... although Valkyrie Profile has quite a lot of voicework, along with Tales of Eternia.

Also take no that over 90% of the games I listed are games have an abundance of 2D sprites, the only exceptions being Chrono Cross, Dew Prism, Legend of Dragoon and Vagrant Story.

Thousand Arms.

Thousand Arms.

6 Years and this game still rocks.

Tell me K`... I got the game, but i accidentally deleted it after I went a little crazy a few months back. What's wrong with me? You seriously need to provide this game back to me.

Thousand Arms.

Thousand Arms.

Tell me K`... I got the game, but i accidentally deleyted it after I went a little crazy a few months back. Whats' wrong with me? You seriously need to provide this game back to me.

Ai ESS Ohh hunt dawt cawm

Thousand Arms.

Thousand Arms.

Tell me K`... I got the game, but i accidentally deleyted it after I went a little crazy a few months back. Whats' wrong with me? You seriously need to provide this game back to me.

Ai ESS Ohh hunt dawt cawm

I can't find it anymore. :P