[6/20/04] Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Game: Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Platform: Genesis,

Genre: Platform Fighter

Well, Today I'm going to review an almost impossible game, Ghouls 'n Ghosts.

This game takes Arthur (He appears in MVC series) who is in love with a princess. When Arthur leaves, demons and abnormal creatures fly to Arthur's castle and kill/capture everybody. Arthur has to travel across an array of lands filled with deadly creatures to reach Loki, a demon king of some sort, to rescue the princess

ghoulsu.png

I'll go into the sound first. The music is pretty creepy and appropriate. It creates a suspensful theme to the game. The sound is good too and actually sounds like the weapons that you use or when your armor comes off. The sound and music is good overall.

ghou.png

Thats part of the map you have to get through to reach Loki's Domain. Each level is hard and gets harder as you go on. The most annoying is prolly the one that you see with the giant eating flowers because you die a ton in that level. Each level of course has a boss which requires strategy to beat because some weapons will not work as efficiently as others would :/

ghou2.png

Now for the weapon and armor scheme. You will start out with a plain old knight armor that protects you for one hit from an enemy. When you get hit, you go in your underwear and if you get hit again, you turn into bones. But, if you grab the golden armor upgrade, you get 2 chances before you turn into bones. Also, the golden armor allows you to use the weapon's power. The lance/staff weapon you start out with can shoot lighting in 3 directions if you charge it. Well, you have to charge all of them to make them work. Each weapon is unique also. You can find them in treasure chests or vases that monsters carry. What are they? Well, you have to find them for yourself.

ghou1.png

Duck power!

Now for the monsters. In each level, there are a lot of monsters that try to kill you and can shoot barf, fireballs, bones, and other junk like that. (I'm serious about the barf. A pig monster barfs down on you). There are also unique monsters. One monster has a tuxedo on and when his magic hits you, you turn into a duck. The duck is fun to control but it cannot do much and it is a free kill in the enemy's eyes. Well, I already talked about the monsters.

ghou3.png

You die!

Overall, this game is difficult. Once you think you beat the game once, You gotta do it over again cause you didn't collect the special weapon :). So have fun beating it twice!

Gameplay: 9

Sound: 9

Graphics: 9

Speed: 8.5

Overall Grade: B+ (8.9)

:D

Play it and have fun dieing

• 3 weeks later...