Developed by: Sonic Team

Genre: Platformer

Number of Players: 1-2

Release Date:

US: December 31, 1992

Japan: Released

Europe: Released

Australia: Released

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 is the second installment to the Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis series. This game was developed by American studio Sega Technical Institute in collaboration with Sonic Team. Many fans anticipated this game's release, with the first installment being highly acclaimed, fans desired more. Some differences between Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog are, the Spin Dash has been added, which is a quicker way to spin in a ball. The special stage has been renewed, Super Sonic has now been added, Tails has been added, all zones only have 2 stages instead of 3, there are much more stages.

1023419434-00.gif

Tails is a new character, he is a Fox, and he has the ability to fly using his two tails. He is an assist character of Sonic, and he does everything you do, but he often gets left behind. You can choose to play with Tails alone, Sonic & Tails, or just Sonic alone. Tails is only present until the end of the game, where his plane gets shot down by Dr. Robotnik's Airship. Although the AI can fly with Tails, you cannot. Fortunately for players, Tails will be able to fly with the human player in the sequel of this game. This game generally contains the same aspect of platforming, if you've played Sonic the Hedgehog, you will definitely like this game. The stages also have much more loops and running space, as opposed to Sonic the Hedgehog, where much more platforming existed. More loops and running space makes the game more linear, and Sonic Team truly accomplished making a Sonic game associate with true speed. This is the first game of the Sonic the Hedgehog series, where Sonic's speed is too fast for the camera. Actually, if I remember correctly, this is the only game where that can happen, but I always have space to be corrected.

1023419476-01.gif

The bonus stage involves Sonic and Tails running on a half-pipe like landscape, and they are everlastingly running. It requires you to collect a certain amount of rings, it will have about 2-3 different requirements, if you meet all of them, you will get an Emerald. Collecting all 7 emeralds will unlock Super Sonic, which is a transformation of Sonic where his hair turns to a bright yellow, his speed increases, and he becomes immune to enemy attack. To activate Super Sonic, you will need to collect 50 rings first. After the transformation your rings will slowly deplete by every second. Once your rings come to down to zero the transformation deactivates. The same item boxes from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 are present in this game. A 2-player mode has also been added, and the 2-player mode only features you and another player racing each other, (finishing a stage the quickest). Even though this game has much more stages than the first installment, many were eliminated, and there are also even some unused tracks in the Sound Test.

1117362814-00.gif

Because this is a relatively old title, I will not comment on the graphics. But the sound ranges from Techno and Electronic type tracks, with Symphonic sounds (and many others). The Death Egg stage's music actually renders a highly technological database; it feels as if you are in a Laboratory with Metal Sonics and held in glass cylinders.

Anyways, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is defiantly a cult classic, which is the reason why I reviewed it. This is actually the first video game that I have ever played, that says much.

Sound: N/A

Graphics: N/A

Presentation: N/A

Gameplay: N/A

Overall: This is left for you to decide.

This was personally my favorite Sonic game to play. I didn't really like Sonic 3 and wasn't too fond of Sonic 1. I thought the levels were beautiful in Sonic 2 and the music was great. I still play it from time to time on the Sony PSP.

• 7 months later...