Blu-Ray vs DVD's Sucessor

Wizard

And it is called HD-DVD or High Density Digital Video Disc.

[...] in June of this year on a specification of the HD DVD ROM, the forum now also moved the format for the recordable version forward. At this time, version 0.9 of the HD DVD RW in 1x speed was approved. The final specification is expected for the next meeting of the organization.

The HD-DVD format competes with Sony's Blue-ray technology and is mainly backed by Toshiba, NEC, and most recently Sanyo. Both approaches are based on blue lasers with shorter wave length than their red counterparts to read data stored in higher density on discs. HD DVDs are planned to offered capacities of 15 and 30 GByte on single and dual-sided discs at near-DVD production prices. General availability is expected to be early 2005. Blue-ray will be able to scale to 100 GByte in 2007 using four-layer technology and later up to 200 GByte with eight layers, according to a statement from Sony officials made today. [...]

You can read the rest in the link.

Hmm...so there are going to be Blue-Ray versions and HD-DVD versions of movies coming out soon. I'll have to wait till both come out to decide which one is best. They both better be backwards compatible with CDs and DVDs.

isnt it rumored that the ps3 would be using blue ray tech, hmm great now metal gear solid four will have a twelve hour cut scenes :lol:

but really why would a game system require such space :)

this is like the dvd + - war is there any winner to that thing

isnt it rumored that the ps3 would be using blue ray tech, hmm great now metal gear solid four will have a twelve hour cut scenes :lol:

but really why would a game system require such space :)

this is like the dvd + - war is there any winner to that thing

Old rumor thats actually true. And Blu-Ray is already obsolete and Sony hasn't even used it yet.

As for the +/- R thing, thats all about preference, but + is prefered even though I find it to be inferior compared to - R.

I hope they come out with hd-dvd-r(w)s or bluray-r(w)s because I was thinking the other day that 25 dvd-rs cost me 50 bucks, and that's 117.5 gbs; whereas my hard drive cost me about 130 bucks, and it was only 80gbs. In other words, it's cheaper these days to buy the equivalent of a hard-drive worth of dvds than to buy a hard-drive. Imagine if those discs would be writable.