An academic's view of the internet

random guy

Okay, so I have to analyse and critique this research paper for one of my classes, and I came across this bit, where the academics were trying to describe message boards. I just found it really funny that they took all those words and fancy conceptualisations just to describe posting on a message board (which most of us to every day :blink:)

Morris and Ogan (1996) defined four categories in which the Internet could be grouped. They were (a) one-to-one asynchronous communication (e-mail), (:D many-to-many asynchronous communication (EBBs), © one-to one, one-to-few, one-to-many synchronous communication organized around a topic or object (i.e., role playing, chat rooms), and (d) asynchronous communication, which is characterized by the receiver’s need for information (i.e., Web sites).

The Internet has become a mass medium. One particular aspect of the Internet that is ripe for mass communication researchers is that of EBBs. James,Wotring, and Forrest (1995) stated five potential reasons that EBBs have become so popular: EBBs possess a large audience; are fast at sending and retrieving messages; have easy posting of messages (weak gatekeeper); many topics (issues) and interests; and are low cost.

Owen (1997) wrote that “a functional definition of EBBs is to conceptualize

an actual bulletin board” (p. 12). Under a topic or special interest heading are various subheadings that ask for participants’ feedback on various issues of the day. Participants can post their responses to the official header or respond to the message of another “poster,” thus creating threads or conversations. Posted messages are then marked with the date and time of the posting so that it is visible to all (made public). There may be, at any given time, other participants in the EBBs who choose not to post a responding message but simply wish to observe or “lurk” on a specific topic or issue. There is also a mild gate-keeping function that is usually conducted by a systems operator to ensure that proper decorum or “netiquette” is maintained on the EBB. Morris and Ogan (1996) discussed the degree of audience activity as a vital element of EBBs. They also suggested that the concept of audience activity

should be included in the study of Internet communication.Owen (1997)  suggested that EBBs do not research a mass audience; instead, they include a

number of issues and special interests, which together have a mass appeal.