microsoft taking on sony..?

You know, I have been consdiering to buy XBOX for a long time, but I can't think of what games I want for that console except for a few.

SHenmue 2

Dead or Alive 3

All SNK games

See what i mean? The game libraries didn't really interest me.

that's totally fair. everyone should choose thier console on the games available.

I myself don't see anything exclusive to sony that get's me exited lately.

and imagine if sony were alone in the game buisness. we'd get alot more crap and less great games.

kinda how the WWE is getting worse with out WCW and ECW threatening their lead. no competition = lax creative departments. ;)

The only thing exclusive that the ps2 has that I want for da xbox even though I own a ps2 is the:

Armored Core series

Ace Combat series

Devil May Cry series

The Grand Turismo series

Well I dont know about FF series but it's one of the better rpgs out there, no compition agaisnt TLOD though.

The Ratchet and Clank series, I dont know about the Jack and Daxter, never played it though.

I can't really remember anymore at this time.

"aHEM".. whats tlod??.. some other rpg is better than the ff series!?!? olord :)

Edited by Jjangthekid

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I dont know about FF series but it's one of the better rpgs out there, no compition agaisnt TLOD though.

Square is thinking of Expanding the FF series. Possibly their main series will be on Sony's consoles while spin-offs shall be on other systems.

I don't need a Bill-BOX or a GameCube right away, since my friend shas them both...but I've been thinking getting a GC because of it's cheap price.

btw, the Jak & Daxter trilogy ownz j00.

hey just found an article on cnn considering the price drops of ps2, xbox and gc..

from what i read, sony sold over 71.3 million ps2 while xbox was 13.7 million..this probably start a flame war but imo i dont think microsoft has what it takes to compete with sony..

hey just found an article on cnn considering the price drops of ps2, xbox and gc..

from what i read, sony sold over 71.3 million ps2 while xbox was 13.7 million..this probably start a flame war but imo  i dont think microsoft has what it takes to compete with sony..

The reason for that statistic:

1. Sony has a very good headstart.

2. Sony has a good reputation from PS

3. Everyone thought old Bill is going to come out with Window Console.

That "very good head start" was almost a year. A year. You don't know how much of an advatage that puts you at.

Having worked for a video game retailer, my idea on all this has changed a bit... I used to believe it was great games that made a popular system, but that's unfortunately not the case...

There are hardcore gamers, like many of us, probably, who know what emulation is and are familiar with PC games and already comfortable with network play, etc. Then there is everyone else. Believe it or not, the latter is the larger market. <_<

Microsoft has done the best job of tapping into this larger share, and it was apparent from their customer base. The system has better graphics than the PS2 (on most 3D titles) which gives it that "first-glance" edge, they've done a reasonable job of taking the percieved "mystery" out of online play for the average person, and the Hard Drive softens the deal for people who wouldn't already expect to need a ($25) memory card. From a gamer's standpoint, maybe the control-pads are as large as my VCR, maybe the exclusive titles aren't so great, and maybe us PC gamers are insulted to have to pay so much for the online play we expect for free.

But guess what? Joe Usual just wants to play Madden on his Hi-Def. He doesn't relish the feel of a Dual-Shock like a worn-in pair of sneakers. He doesn't look forward to reading the "awesome 93-hour story" in the next RPG epic. And he's just happy if he doesn't have to talk to "those geeks" in tech support more than once before he can start talking trash on his new Live! headset.

So who will come out on top in the next age of the "console wars?" Who knows, really. I'd personally like to see Sony come out on top, but if they ignore the market that M$ has such a hold on, we may see some scary stuff. If they can capture the "everyman" like M$ has, while retaining the hardcore fanbase, they should continue to do just fine.

As for Nintendo... Well, they're doing a little better after the Christmas season (when they rocked so hard they forced a pricedrop from the others), but I think they need to re-think things a little as well. Their good titles are great, but they have a much smaller list overall and a lot of it is just as mediocre as the competitions'. Their huge brand-name is a blessing and a curse as they try to break into the mass-market. Everyone loves Nintendo, but it's easy for some to say they don't want "kids stuff" laying around their living room.

P.S. Wow this got long.. sorry! :lol:

Having worked for a video game retailer, my idea on all this has changed a bit...  I used to believe it was great games that made a popular system, but that's unfortunately not the case... 

There are hardcore gamers, like many of us, probably, who know what emulation is and are familiar with PC games and already comfortable with network play, etc.  Then there is everyone else.  Believe it or not, the latter is the larger market.  <_<

Microsoft has done the best job of tapping into this larger share, and it was apparent from their customer base.  The system has better graphics than the PS2 (on most 3D titles) which gives it that "first-glance" edge, they've done a reasonable job of taking the percieved "mystery" out of online play for the average person, and the Hard Drive softens the deal for people who wouldn't already expect to need a ($25) memory card.  From a gamer's standpoint, maybe the control-pads are as large as my VCR, maybe the exclusive titles aren't so great, and maybe us PC gamers are insulted to have to pay so much for the online play we expect for free. 

But guess what?  Joe Usual just wants to play Madden on his Hi-Def.  He doesn't relish the feel of a Dual-Shock like a worn-in pair of sneakers.  He doesn't look forward to reading the "awesome 93-hour story" in the next RPG epic.  And he's just happy if he doesn't have to talk to "those geeks" in tech support more than once before he can start talking trash on his new Live! headset.

So who will come out on top in the next age of the "console wars?"  Who knows, really.  I'd personally like to see Sony come out on top, but if they ignore the market that M$ has such a hold on, we may see some scary stuff.  If they can capture the "everyman" like M$ has, while retaining the hardcore fanbase, they should continue to do just fine. 

As for Nintendo... Well, they're doing a little better after the Christmas season (when they rocked so hard they forced a pricedrop from the others), but I think they need to re-think things a little as well.  Their good titles are great, but they have a much smaller list overall and a lot of it is just as mediocre as the competitions'.  Their huge brand-name is a blessing and a curse as they try to break into the mass-market.  Everyone loves Nintendo, but it's easy for some to say they don't want "kids stuff" laying around their living room.

P.S.  Wow this got long.. sorry!  :lol:

Whoa, nice point there, Daeval.

But i can only assume that your opinion is based on American market only.

From there, we might see these situation:

1. Sony captures Japan market

2. M$ captures US market.

3. Both of them has some shares in the rest of the world.

4. Nintendo a little here and there ;)

4. Nintendo a little here and there <_<

Good point, I was obviously tunnel-visioned on the American market here. I'm curious (but too lazy to google :lol:) as to what share of Japan's market is held by Nintendo vs. Sony. Also, what the heck is the European market like and much pull does it have?

I don't have any first-hand experience in Japan, but as a market they seem a little more comfortable with the things M$ is currently "making easier" on the American public, which negates Bill's advantage somewhat. At least stateside, M$ doesn't project the sort of "family" (in terms of community dependence, rather than "rated G") atmosphere I (sort of blindly) relate to acceptance and success in Japan. They've definately got the SUV attitude here and I'm curious how well that works overseas, or if they're trying to maintain it there.

4. Nintendo a little here and there <_<

Good point, I was obviously tunnel-visioned on the American market here. I'm curious (but too lazy to google :lol:) as to what share of Japan's market is held by Nintendo vs. Sony. Also, what the heck is the European market like and much pull does it have?

I don't have any first-hand experience in Japan, but as a market they seem a little more comfortable with the things M$ is currently "making easier" on the American public, which negates Bill's advantage somewhat. At least stateside, M$ doesn't project the sort of "family" (in terms of community dependence, rather than "rated G") atmosphere I (sort of blindly) relate to acceptance and success in Japan. They've definately got the SUV attitude here and I'm curious how well that works overseas, or if they're trying to maintain it there.

Well, from what I know, Nintendo do has a sizeable following at Japan, but as you said, most of the games are really kiddy stuff. So most of their following are kids, with a few adults here and there. The support for Sony is really strong in Japan, mainly due to a few big companies supporting them (Square-Enix, Capcom and others) Japanese gamers are also very fickle. If they are used to 110 hrs RPG from SquareEnix, they will expect their sequel would be about the same too ;)

I think you can get the actual figure from Magic Box

EDIT: And Sony do know how to promote their stuff. THeir advertisment is always top-of-the-world. I know, since I am working in Sony :P

Edited by L.S.D