Best Tv-out Settings?

this is sort of a multipart question. I'm looking for the best settings for TV-out. I have a Radeon 9800 pro 128meg card and use the tv-out to play emulators on my tv instead of the pc.

I only have a PIII 933Mhz, but it runs Neo Geo, SNES and even N64 ROMS at very playable speeds (on my tv).

But then there's NES. I think I've tried nearly every emulator out there. No amount of triple buffering, vsync, or lazy vsync seem to clear up the tearing AND keep a decent framerate. A few emulators can avoid the tearing (FCEultra and RockNES X) but play like crap. My framerate goes to hell and the audio drops out.

I can list all my settings here if you wish, but is anyone outputting NES to their TV with success on an older machine? What are your settings? Is it really just a CPU issue? Why can I do N64, or even SNES for that matter--but not NES? One emulator looked really blurry until I checked "disable video card acceleration" or something like that. Then it was sharp again. ???? Bypassing my "kickass" ATI card (relative to what I had) makes it look BETTER? I'm beyond confused.

I'm trying for 640x480x16. Simple 2xscale. hq2x looks nice, but my cpu goes to 100%.

Tell me something's wrong here, or is NES emulation just not that far along--optimization-wise?

Eh? As far as I know, the S-Video to Composite out shouldn't effect anything. Could be because your video card is bottlenecking your CPU. Happens with me all the time.