need help with cd writing software!!

ME!

hi all. i am a bit mift. my problem is this. i am trying to write my nes roms to a cd-r using easy cd creator. easy enough. except it wont let me cause it says the file names of ALOT of the roms are too long. i dont want to change the names of the roms at the cost of getting confused. please save me. :) does anyone know how to change the amount of characters easy cd creator will let you have in a file name, to make it more? or does anyone know of a cd writing software that will let you have files with really long names? im counting on you guys. please help me. :D

yah, easy cd creator only lets you have 64 characters in a file name. sucks big time. but its actually the only problem i have had using the software, besides not being able to write isos properly to cd, but in that case i just use cdrwin of fireburner.

cdrwin and fireburner both support more characters in a file name, but for some reason, today they both decided to be jerks. :D i do have a copy of nero but it isnt installed. i will do that now and then give it a try. if it doesnt work, it doesnt matter, cause i already wrote them all to cd by just raring them all together. so i was able to keep the origional file name. :) thanks for your help. :)

well, i tried nero. didnt work. its not the software, its the joliet system. it only allows 64 characters in a file name. :) sucks that i have to change the name of the rom, ohwell. :)

ps-cinder, since you mentioned that nero never gave you problems with this sort of thing, maybe you know of a way to get around this perhaps? :D if not, its cool.

I use Nero 5.5.8 (I haven't updated sincec then, so don't know if there a newer version)

I use relaxed ISO restrictions in my burns, allowing for more than 255 characters in a filename.

Start a new compilation and click on the ISO tab, and check the box in the Relax ISO restrictions area called "Allow more than 255 characters in path"

Even with Joliet checked off, I can add a file with more than 64 characters, Joliet is only a secondary volume descriptor for Win95/NT.

So.............I don't uunderstand why a problem is presented regarding filename length. The secondary volume descriptor is in Joliet, telling Win95/NT that x file with 64 characters or less, is actually said file with more than 64 characters.

Like in DOS, where you get a filename/directory that looks like 1~blah.exe if it's too long.

Works fine for me. Dunno what to tell you.

ok. i did everything you said. when the file has been written to cd, this is what i get :

100 man $ kid - maboroshi no teiou hen (j) [hm02].zip

"is being written to cd as"

100_MAN__KID__MABOROSHI_N.zip

i know i am being a pain in the arse, but i dont know whats going on with this thing. :shock: if you could help me further i would be forever grateful to you. i spent like 4 hours on this stupid thing and i am still no further along than when i started. i need to know the "exact" options that i need to select. i tried them all but maybe im missing something. i must be. but if you cant help me, i guess i understand. :wink:

i know what you are talking about i have the same prob but with internet files, i been trying and i guess this is the one that lets you more chars

level 2 iso, mode 1, iso9660, uncheck joliet, and the two allow iso relax options checked

level 2 iso, mode 1, iso9660, uncheck joliet, and the two allow iso relax options checked

yep. thats exactly what i did. didnt work. :shock:

ok. you know what cinder, forget about what i asked you to do. after thinking about it, it doesnt really matter. i guess if i want to view the correct rom name of a particular rom, all i have to do is open up the zip file and take a look, you know, without extracting it first. i guess i can live with that. the only thing that really bothered me was not being able to figure it out. but its cool. thanks for you help. :shock: