Problem Reading Cd-rom

Does anyone know if there is a way to get a game to recognize that the CD is actually in the drive, when the game still keeps asking for it and won't continue?

I'm on XP and I've been searching the Internet for weeks trying to found out if I can give the dozy thing a kick up the a$$ and at least get it to read the flaming CD.

(It reads the CD at first and it's all installed properly, but it won't find it when I run the exe)

The game I am desperate to play is 'Dungeon Keeper Gold'.

help much appreciated,

thanks.

Edited by shin_nihon_kikaku

Is this copy a burnt game? If you have burnt it, or if it is an illegal copy, you are probably dealing with a copy protection that is telling you the cd isn't in the drive when it actually is.

If this is the case, you probably need to either find a program that strips the exe file of its protection, so then you can take away its virginity, or find a hacked exe on the net to replace the chastity belt exe that you have.

Try a site called Game Copy World if this is the case. They have heaps of patches. Or do a google search for "Dungeon Keeper Gold No cd" or "Dungeon Keeper Gold fixed exe."

Thanks for the advice guys

My dungeon keeper is an official copy (Dungeon Keeper Gold on EA's Collector label ) and I found out the solution myself but it is rather absurd (to me at least).

I could have sworn that when I installed it aeons ago, I had a look at the game to make sure it worked on XP, but when I came to actually play it I encountered the disc error and as there was nothing about this anywhere on the 'net I assumed I must have been mistaken. Anyway, it turns out that putting the CD in a CD-RW drive was the problem. (I used to use my E drive until the tray started getting stuck) I thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a try in this situation and lo and behold, it runs! Brilliant.

Although the rotten rat b*stards at EA have removed all the Background Music from the Collector label release.

I've heard that this played from the CD in older versions. :lol:

Does anyone know how many background tracks there were in this game and is there anyway to get hold of them (I'd play them in a loop from Media Player if I had the swines!)

Thanks a lot guys.

Edited by shin_nihon_kikaku