Mod Chip for older Saturn...

I picked up a Saturn at a flea market this weekend (rare find--don't see them here too often). After doing a lot of reading on the web I think I've determined it is the older model (oval buttons). That means that most of the mod chips won't work with it--is that correct?

The mod chips available from dealers are made for 21 pin Saturn's, and 20 pins either never existed, or are in such short supply they're unheard of.

I found a few sites with info on 21 pin Saturns, but they were way over my head. I popped it open and counted the wires on the ribbon cable to the cdrom. 20. Is this an accurate way to tell?

I had hoped to modify it to play games I snag off various DCs, but that looks less and less likely.

Then I found a link to a thing called "game hunter".

http://www.sintech-shop.de/shop.htm?sega_saturn_hardware.htm

Would this work with my older Saturn? The description says works with backups. Anyone use one of these? Have any reputable sites to buy these things from?

Thanks for any info! (and yes, we could use a saturn board--or make the genesis one a generic sega--just a suggestion)

:lol:

As far as I know it's not possible that that thing will work with backups. The only ways to play backups on Saturn is with a modboard or with the swap trick. The bad news is that it's pretty much impossible to find model 1 mods these days, the good news is that the swap trick is easier to do on model 1's. But it's still a hassle if you ask me, If I were you I'd buy a model saturn and mod that.