Hi! a question of raine for DOS

theelf01

HI! greetings, im a long time raine user,   recently my HDD died, and I lost some stuff  without backup

One is a version of raine tux compiled with vsync for 16+ bit mode in DOS

Sadly the download is not working anymore,  hope tux or someone will have a copy,   or much better,  if is possible to update latest version 0.91.9 or 0.64.9 with this patch, because sadly 16 bit mode is need for many neogeo games, like Breakers, that look very bad in 8 bit mode, but vsync enabled

Thanks a lot!!!

Out of luck here, I remember cleaning up old files not too long ago and deleting a rained.7z file which I didn't recognize... ! Well if I remember correctly I didn't get much feedback from this build, so I don't know if the changes inside were merged into the main version or not, but I'd say it's likely.

Anyway, even with PCem and in 16bpp with univbe, I still can't enable triple buffer, and it doesn't say why, it just says it can't, so I can't test that at all.

1 hour ago, Tux said:

Out of luck here, I remember cleaning up old files not too long ago and deleting a rained.7z file which I didn't recognize... ! Well if I remember correctly I didn't get much feedback from this build, so I don't know if the changes inside were merged into the main version or not, but I'd say it's likely.

Anyway, even with PCem and in 16bpp with univbe, I still can't enable triple buffer, and it doesn't say why, it just says it can't, so I can't test that at all.

Thanks for reply! sorry not feedback on the momment

I tested tripple buffer with S3, nvidia 128, geforce, voodoo 3, cirrus logic cards and nothing work

do you have latest DOS source code? or 0.6x?   to compile and try to fix myself if i can,  if yes,  do you use djgpp?

thanks

1 hour ago, theelf01 said:

Thanks for reply! sorry not feedback on the momment

I tested tripple buffer with S3, nvidia 128, geforce, voodoo 3, cirrus logic cards and nothing work

do you have latest DOS source code? or 0.6x?   to compile and try to fix myself if i can,  if yes,  do you use djgpp?

thanks

Yeah the sources are available of course. Some sources archives are on this site, up until 0.51.11 I think. If you want something more recent, use the github icon to go to the github page, click on the tags to select the version you want, then it will give you links to download the sources for this version in zip, or tar.gz.

The problem is allegro, you need to find some sources for allegro4, then there are some patches, I use these, some from arch linux which probably come from somewhere else, some from the old days of Antiriad with the dos version :

patch -p0 < ${startdir}/makefile.all.djgpp.patch
  patch -p0 < ${startdir}/makefile.dj.djgpp.patch
  patch -p0 < ${startdir}/misc_mdhelper_sh.djgpp.patch
  patch -p0 < ${startdir}/src_misc_vbeafex_c.djgpp.patch
  patch -p1 < ${startdir}/diff-inline
  patch -p1 < ${startdir}/raine_hacks.patch
  patch -p1 < ${startdir}/vesa.patch

Of course all this is for djgpp. I compiled the whole thing for version 0.96.6, and it worked quite well with PCem, which is quite a serious emulator for old x86 hardware...

The best I could do with triple buffer is trying to enable it from a 320x240 mode-x -> black screen (instead of the usual error message "Can't enable triple buffer").

4 minutes ago, Tux said:

Yeah the sources are available of course. Some sources archives are on this site, up until 0.51.11 I think. If you want something more recent, use the github icon to go to the github page, click on the tags to select the version you want, then it will give you links to download the sources for this version in zip, or tar.gz.

The problem is allegro, you need to find some sources for allegro4, then there are some patches, I use these, some from arch linux which probably come from somewhere else, some from the old days of Antiriad with the dos version :

patch -p0 < ${startdir}/makefile.all.djgpp.patch
  patch -p0 < ${startdir}/makefile.dj.djgpp.patch
  patch -p0 < ${startdir}/misc_mdhelper_sh.djgpp.patch
  patch -p0 < ${startdir}/src_misc_vbeafex_c.djgpp.patch
  patch -p1 < ${startdir}/diff-inline
  patch -p1 < ${startdir}/raine_hacks.patch
  patch -p1 < ${startdir}/vesa.patch

Of course all this is for djgpp. I compiled the whole thing for version 0.96.6, and it worked quite well with PCem, which is quite a serious emulator for old x86 hardware...

Oh! sorry i did not realize you upload source to github, I already downloaded and im preparing djgpp, thanks for tips

About PCem, believe me, is FAR ... VERY FAR from be similar to real hardware

I have more than 20+ working DOS computers in my house,   from 8088 to Pentium 4,  but mostly 386,486 and pentium.  S3, nvidia, cirrus, trident, etc video cards,   SBpro to AWE64, GUS, Opti, CMI, ESS ISA cards... etc

PCEm did not wmeulate ANY of this machines correctly, yes, very close but many things that in PCEm work fine in real hardware no always and opposite,  thats why i give up for now of my idea of have a powerfull PC emulating with PCem and still keep all this computers in working order instead of just dissasemble and save space

thanks!

I tried to resurrect a very old pc I had around here, 128 Mb of ram, 1 GHz cpu, setting up a pure dos boot was already hard for it, but I finally found something.

But I failed miserably at the sound card configuration. There is a sounblaster compatible pci card in it, but I don't remember which card it is exactly. Maybe there was a windows driver with the card, it's very old stuff. I assumed it would work with just a blaster environment variable in dos, clearly it doesn't !

Oh well, I'd say all this is just a big waste of time, I would never have thought it could be that hard to just setup a sound card in dos... !

So for now I give up, unless I find what this card is precisely and how to configure it in dos, there is no way, and for now I don't have the faintest idea !

You'll need to physically identify the card, download the dos drivers for it and install them. The install will add some lines to your autoexec.bat file.

If it's Creative Soundblaster compatible, then you could probably just get the SB 2.0 driver and give that a go. It will tell you if the card is suitable.

After all that, the BLASTER variable is still needed, but the install will set that in autoexec.bat as well. My default settings are IRQ 5, DMA 1, High DMA 5.

I have a DOS machine that I use for testing things, and it also has various versions of windows 3.x as well. Obviously the sound card is different to yours, being in a ISA slot, and being a real Creative card.

Yeah I know that, but thanks for making me curious enough to have a last look at it, it's an old compaq computer, so I don't like messing with the internals, but I have seen worst configurations. Finally it's a "Creative CT4750", which seems to be a sbpci.

I found a very good page to configure these old cards in dos there : https://retronn.de/imports/soundblaster_config_guide.html
and then their ftp site with all the drivers you might want : ftp://retronn.de/driver/Creative/

In short : the pci cards use the blaster variable just for compatibility with the old dos applications, they don't need it anymore, they work totally differently, and so they require a program to be loaded to handle them, it can either be the windows driver (I am sure it's the 1st time I do this configuration for dos !), or like here the right dos program to load, the environment variable alone can't do anything.

And with all this I was finally able to make it work ! And to my dismay, I confirm the bug, as incredible as it may sound, nothing can be heard with the allegro sound drivers when seal drivers work perfectly ! Allegro is really a big pile of bugs, it was part of the reason for switching to sdl, I would never have thought they would manage to still annoy me after all this time !!!

The problem is what to do with that ? Most sites keep this allegro version as the last stable allegro version for dos... ! The short solution is to have seal, even though seal is sub optimal, at least it works ! Oh well, I'll make a few tests maybe and update this later...

2 hours ago, Robert said:

You'll need to physically identify the card, download the dos drivers for it and install them. The install will add some lines to your autoexec.bat file.

If it's Creative Soundblaster compatible, then you could probably just get the SB 2.0 driver and give that a go. It will tell you if the card is suitable.

After all that, the BLASTER variable is still needed, but the install will set that in autoexec.bat as well. My default settings are IRQ 5, DMA 1, High DMA 5.

I have a DOS machine that I use for testing things, and it also has various versions of windows 3.x as well. Obviously the sound card is different to yours, being in a ISA slot, and being a real Creative card.

If you could test the latest dos version on one of your isa sound  cards...

I think the driver creates a virtual port to handle requests, and it just doesn't work with the allegro driver, but it might work with a normal isa card.

The problem is the same when using one of their test program to play a sample so at least the error is not from me.

Well anyway here is a link to the latest dos version but using seal this time, it's the only known workaround for now when getting no sound : http://raine.1emulation.com/archive/raine-seal-0.96.7.7z

Seal is supposed to be more primitive, its awe32 driver doesn't seem to work, I just tested on bubble bobble and it seems to sound ok at least on this game, but anyway it's the only solution for now !

Ah, I wasn't expecting an answer so quickly. My DOS machine is at another location and I won't be out that way for a few days. But I will try it out when I do get there.

I was doing some reading and it seems that the PCI sound card is not so good for DOS-based sounds, ISA is preferred.

So I will report back when I have some test results.