Weird bug with inputs in Marvel Super Heroes

mer-curious

Hey Tux! I'm experiencing a weird bug with the inputs in Marvel Super Heroes. I cannot perform a specific command with Shuma Gorath when I'm facing left (P2 side). The command is press back for 2 seconds, then forward + any kick button. Shuma Gorath should transform himself into a ball-like creature and perform a rolling jump forward in the air leaving some replications of him. You can see this move many times in this video, for example, in the first round after the K.O.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqggeCP_G68

You can also use the same command (charge back for two seconds, then forward) with any punch button. The character should throw forward a ring made of eyes.

These moves work perfectly when the character is facing right (P1 side). I've tried it with other emulators and the move works normally there in both sides, which confirms it's an issue in Raine. I've also tried performing them with the keyboard but it didn't work either. Never seen an issue like that before.

Anyway, I hope you can reproduce it if you ever play with Raine again. It's not hard to perform I guess. If you have ever played any Street Fighter games, it's the same command as Guile's Sonic Boom.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Yeah me neither, I don't see how something could work when facing right, but not when facing left !

No promise here, I won't test that for now, that's sure !

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hey Tux! Seeing that you have been releasing new versions again, I'd like to report another bug related to the inputs.

While playing Captain Commando with two players, the setting for B1+B2 for player 2 doesn't work and will actually trigger the B1+B2 setting for player 1.

I'm using one generic USB controller for P1 and one X360 controller for P2.

By the way, I've already reported somewhere else that the X360 controller will always be automatically assigned to the P1 controls. So if you have your games assigned to one specific game-pad, this configuration will move to the P2 as soon as you plug an X360 controller to your PC, as you can see in the screenshot below:

Before connecting an X360 controller:

https://imgbox.com/Gl3sQkun

After connecting:

https://imgbox.com/qfkdTfms

Maybe this could be resolved by removing the automatic bindings for game-pads which Raine currently does. I suppose it could be a good change because the automatic binding doesn't work very well, especially in relation to the sticks. For example, my 10B game-pad is incorrectly assigned to "stick 0", when it actually had to be assigned to "stick 2" in order for the d-pad to work in the game.

Thank you so much in advance if you ever try to fix these issues. 🙂👍

Edited by mer-curious

I'll look for the b1+b2 bad mapping, it's probably something stupid that nobody detected until now.

For the assignment mess when you plug a new controller, well there are functions to simplify assigning a given controller to some inputs in sdl2, so if I fix that now, I'll have to redo it differently in sdl2, and really when I see how the windows version is getting broken lately, it would really be a good idea to get at least a basic sdl2 version working...

So no promise, and it will probably get delayed then...

• Like 1

Thanks for your work, Tux! I'm glad it was an easy fix for that. By the way, the B1+B2 button combination for P2 and P3 are currently unavailable. Is this right?

Anyway, I hope a fix for the "Sonic Boom" command bug in Marvel Super Heroes would be as easy as that too.

Thanks again for your time and support. 😃

1 hour ago, mer-curious said:

Thanks for your work, Tux! I'm glad it was an easy fix for that. By the way, the B1+B2 button combination for P2 and P3 are currently unavailable. Is this right?

Anyway, I hope a fix for the "Sonic Boom" command bug in Marvel Super Heroes would be as easy as that too.

Thanks again for your time and support. 😃

You meant p3_b1b2 & p4_b1b2 I suppose ? Because you succeed to have 3 or 4 people playing at the same time on the same computer ? Lucky you !

I found out lately my flat screen can be easily rotated on its side for vertical games, then just update the rotation setting in video option to have rotation = 90, and suddenly the vertical games look a lot more impressive ! Less people, but still impressive ! (ideally we should also rotate the gui in this case, but it was hard to do with sdl-1.2, maybe easier with sdl2, we'll see...).

For your special move working on the left but not on the right, don't hold your breath, it's ultra low priority for now, I'll have another look at sdl2, hoping that I am not pissed again at what I find... !

1 hour ago, Tux said:

You meant p3_b1b2 & p4_b1b2 I suppose ? Because you succeed to have 3 or 4 people playing at the same time on the same computer ? Lucky you !

Yes that's it. I have some close friends and relatives that sometimes get together so we play beat'm-up, kart racing and also rythm games.

Nice addition with the vertical rotation. I believe FBNeo has an option like that too. My current Samsung monitor also rotates vertically, but I've never used it that way with emulators because I virtually don't play shoot'm-ups except for Metal Slug, which is side-scrolled.

Thanks again for considering checking the input bug in the future and for your time and work dedicated to the SDL 2.0 upgrade. 😃

2 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Yes that's it. I have some close friends and relatives that sometimes get together so we play beat'm-up, kart racing and also rythm games.

Nice addition with the vertical rotation. I believe FBNeo has an option like that too. My current Samsung monitor also rotates vertically, but I've never used it that way with emulators because I virtually don't play shoot'm-ups except for Metal Slug, which is side-scrolled.

Thanks again for considering checking the input bug in the future and for your time and work dedicated to the SDL 2.0 upgrade. 😃

I suggest you try it to see the effect anyway, quite impressive. Try with dimahoo, which looks really "slim" on a horizontal screen, then rotate the screen and behold !

By the way most of the vertical games are shoot'em up that's right, but not all of them. I just added an option to be able to add -rol and -ror on the command line when using -gl to display games rotating on the left and on the right, which gives as non shoot'em up vertical games :

- pacman, all its clones, including miss pac man & cie.
 - arkanoid 1, 2, & returns. About returns it's been broken for quite a few versions, I just noticed it yesterday while checking for this windows asm compatibility. It's fixed.
 - block block, which I never played
 - bomb jack twin
 - Don Doko Don (platform)
 - Donkey Kong (better with emudx graphics, which are broken with opengl blits in windows, too bad !)
 - Drift Out
 - Exciting hour / matmania which is one of the rare games I played a lot with my cousin in the arcades, back in the day, a wrestling game... !

- fantasia (!)
 - frogger (same comment, better with emudx graphics)
 - gal's panic
- Grand Cross Pinball
- Kiki Kai Kai / knight boy
- Liquid Kids
- Maze of Flott
- Mercs (although it's a commando like game, so shoot'em up but not in space !)
- Pengo
- us classic golf (not as good as the neogeo version)

But yes, the vast majority are shoo'em ups, some very good ones being vertical indeed !
And while testing yesterday, I finally understood why there was no progression in the dialog when loading a rom from internet archive : it's because of their server which doesn't send the size of the file before the download. So I added a workaround by taking the list of the files in an index file, and getting the sizes from there. It works, the progression works again, useful for such a slow download, at least it proves that it works and it's not frozen !

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1