Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tux

A dos version in 2020... !

Posted (edited)

I found a recent gcc (latest version actually) for dos in arch, so I got curious to see if I could make the dos version to run now... Weirdly I have some trouble with dosbox, raine crashes at launch with it in install_allegro, no idea why, I tried a few dosbox versions and always the same result.

With dosemu it's also harder, it had the best results before, now I am obliged to use a pre-version of their 2.0, which is not super stable. Here it works, sound and graphics (well vesa 2.0 linear which is not bad, but no triple buffer at all). Only file accesses are very slow for some reason, so I took a moment to add some basic cache for the rom directories in raine and it's now much faster, it will also benefit a little to the other versions, linux and windows.

And it also works in virtualbox, using a freedos boot ! No vesa support at all there, clearly their goal was not to allow some dos games to run, we are stuck in mode-x. There is a working soundblaster 16 emulation though, but only with the allegro sound driver, seal doesn't detect it at all. With that, it's a little slower than dosemu ingame, but much more stable, and what works is working perfectly ! Quite surprising and impressive !

Oh well, it's probably time for a very last raine dos binary then ! (I might make 2, one with the seal audio, the other with the allegro audio).

Edited by Tux

Posted (edited)

The wonderful world of vesa modes in virtualbox :

I made some more research on the topic, I found odd that such a stable dpmi emulation had nothing about vesa.
It turns out it was yet another stupid bug from allegro, their mode list scan of vesa modes is broken, and since there is no 320x240 mode by default, I thought there was no mode at all. In fact I couldn't be more wrong !

They have the same support as dosemu, except you can add all the vesa modes you want !
For that you just do :
vboxmanage setextradata freedos CustomVideoMode1 320x240x8
to get the 320x240 in 8bpp. And so on... ! (here my virtual machine is called freedos)
Wow, virtualbox just got better than dosemu, maybe that's the reason why they take so long to release their 2.0 version ?
Hum, maybe they don't have any joystick support ?! ;-)

By the way I just fixed the bug in allegro with another patch, so you now get the correct list of modes. But I am probably the only one playing with this for now ! ;-)

Edited by Tux