Street Fighter Games

Krosigrim

I have gotten back into arcade emulation again lately and came across the Street Fighter EX series again. It's been sooooo long since I played any EX, last Century in fact. As I get into SFEX2+ I remember how much I liked this series, this branch of Street Fighter.

I never really got into SFIII but I am familiar with all other SF (fighting) games (to my knowledge)

Perhaps it's just nostalgia, but EX2+ feels more like Street Fighter than SF4. I have waaaay more fun on this over SF4. And Hakkan... WTF I said it once, again, It shouklda been Darun. When I last said this someone (I cant remember) said they treat the EX series like it never happened. And its true. The only things that came from EX is that guard crush thingy. Perhaps something else but whatever. These characters and move lists... Ryu with his multiple input hurricane kick, where as Ken retains the spinning version. Lots of other things ill not mention, but anyone who likes the EX series knows what I mean. Some of these characters ore overpowered... lol Garuda, but the game holds fast.

But lately SF has gotten different. 4 is solid, but it just doesnt feel the same anymore. I can play Alpha 3 or EX2+ and the feeling is there... And I still got it :)

Some have said as they grow older their reflexes slow... perhaps this is so but I totally destroy kids at old school games. Put some hot shot Black Ops kid on some goold 'ole Golden Eye on the 64... even with that busted ass controller I will obliterate.

I think that the EX series has gotten some unneeded flak over the years. Sure, the mechanics in all three games aren't nearly as deep as in other Street Fighter games, and the 3D graphics are a bitch blocky thanks to the rather ancient Capcom ZN tech, but these games are still a lot of fun to play.

I mean the characters created specifically for the EX series and stages haven't really been seen in any other fighting game, Street Fighter or otherwise., though there are some exceptions. Might have something to do with the fact that Arika developed the games and owns the rights, but whatever. The soundtrack was also quite good, especially in EX2Plus.

P.S. Skullomania ftw.

Hell yea Skullomania is pretty damn strong. His moves are easy to pull off and they cover so many situations. I liked alot of the characters from this series.

Side rant

When I retrieved a movelist, I noticed Garuda, Kairi, Shadow Geist and Hayate. They are not selectable yet and I am currently trying to remedy this.

One source says

Play as Kairi and Shadowgeist:

The total of each entry in the Score Ranking should be equal or more than 500,000 points (one character per entry so all characters must be in the ranking with 500,000 points each)

Operator's Code - turn on the machine and go to Test Mode (similar to a PC's CMOS BIOS setup containing options for monitor settings, microswitch diagnostics...), go to the Color Menu, and input the following button sequence using the Player1 (P1) buttons (assuming the default settings for button strengths are enabled): Fierce Punch (HP)

Play as Nanase and Garuda:

These extra characters can only be activated only after Kairi and Shadowgeist are activated

Player - the total accumulated points of all entries in the Score Ranking should add up to equal or more than 28,000,000 points (including Kairi and Shadowgeist)

Operator - turn on the machine and go to the Test Mode screen, go to the Color Menu and input the following button sequence using the Player1 (P1) buttons:MK -

Source

And another says

Time release characters (Arcade only)

Garuda, Shadow Geist, and Kairi each become available after the machine has been operating for a long period of time.

Source

Well F2 brings up the Service Mode and I can get to the color menu from there... its the basic Configuration menu. If I Tab then go to Dip switches, there are 2 unknown switches... they do nothing, (I guess) thought baybee itd be the characters... Im currently running through with each character and just chipping away at this score trial (assuming this is the actual way to unlock the characters) I remember seeing something where someone was manually altering high scores. I looked to do this but didnt remember what he did, and cant currently find that material I read it in.

I look for cheats, hoping I can find some kinda file to grab or something to get this working, but all I ever find is PS cheats.

I downloaded the owners manual for the cabinet but there is NO mention of this AT ALL. How fucking lame is that?

Ahh well. Time to chip away somemore... hopefully it is indeed the score method... seems weird but I saw a video of it working for SF EX. The instructions on the first source are pretty specific... the characters to unlock are indeed from EX2 plus. Hope it works... Otherwise according to the other source, without a quick fix I gotta let it run forever.

IIRC, you more or need to find a hacked NVRAM files for the game with the secret characters unlocked. Or you know, keep the play time counter rolling for several hours (If MAME or whatever you use keeps track of this, good), and at certain hour milestones a character is unlocked. I'm talking about dozen of hours at worst.

Also, the Color menu cheat / getting enough points only works in EX2. In EX2Plus, all hidden characters have a time-release.

Excellent. Knowing is half the battle. Perhaps Ill find the file now. Dozens of hours? That sound on the lite side. Regardless, its running in the background right now. I appreciate the info.

The more I play, the more Im drawn in. Back to it.

I'll dig around a bit and see if I can find the exact times for each time-release. A long shot, but anywho.

EDIT: Holy shit. Well, my example is for Street Fighter EX, where the time-release characters unlock after 400 hours. Don't know how that translates to EX2Plus, but have this feeling that I have to take back my earlier statement.

Hell if I can say for sure Weirdy, but the only codes in test mode that I have seen were literally 1 button (HP) or (MK), and as Agozer said, only in EX games that are not Plus versions. All material I have found is mainly for PS and PS2 bullshit, I havent found any solid material about the Arcade versions of EX2.

Everyone in this game is a badass. Thought id just say that...