NullDC Ecco the Dolphin Error, Help Needed

I've been messing around with this all morning and finally got past the insert cd screen from Utopia 1.1, but now it just shows the Ecco disc with the deer floating around forever and nothing happens. I'm new to DC emulation so I figured I should post before I drive myself absolutely insane :huh: Here is a screenshot with the error message:

nulldceccoerror1.jpg

Every rotation the deer does it tries again with the same error message over and over. Any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For starters, use a nullDC version that isn't old as hell. 1.0.3 is what most people use if they favor nullDC. Demul is also a [perhaps better] option. If your disc image is selfboot (like most should be, at least those that have been properly ripped), you don't need to mess around with a bootdisc. Anyway, you've said nothing about the plugin setup you use, specifically the GD-ROM plugin in use.

By the looks of it, the Utopia bootdisc messes nullDC up completely.

For starters, use a nullDC version that isn't old as hell. 1.0.3 is what most people use if they favor nullDC. Demul is also a [perhaps better] option. If your disc image is selfboot (like most should be, at least those that have been properly ripped), you don't need to mess around with a bootdisc. Anyway, you've said nothing about the plugin setup you use, specifically the GD-ROM plugin in use.

By the looks of it, the Utopia bootdisc messes nullDC up completely.

Okay, I just got DEmul 5.5 32bit on here and I got a self boot copy of the game. It still won't boot. When I start it up it brings me to the audio screen, so I go back and select Play and it says insert disc. My plugins for Demul are:

Video: GpuDXLegacy

GD-rom: gdrDemul

Sound: spudemul

Pad: paddemul

If any given game won't boot but shows the audio screen, that's usually a dead-on indicator that the disc image you have really isn't selfboot. Well, usually, as there are some oddball exceptions. Since you're using gdrDemul, I have to ask: have you burned the Ecco disc image to a CD-R or are you using a virtual drive? If you have the game on CD-R, are you sure you've burned it properly?

It would be less hassle for you if you'd use gdrImage plugin instead, and use that to mount the disc image file directly and play using that. No need for physical media.

If any given game won't boot but shows the audio screen, that's usually a dead-on indicator that the disc image you have really isn't selfboot. Well, usually, as there are some oddball exceptions. Since you're using gdrDemul, I have to ask: have you burned the Ecco disc image to a CD-R or are you using a virtual drive? If you have the game on CD-R, are you sure you've burned it properly?

It would be less hassle for you if you'd use gdrImage plugin instead, and use that to mount the disc image file directly and play using that. No need for physical media.

I'm using a virtual drive (MagicDisc). I've downloaded 3 copies of the game with this last one specifically saying it is selfbootable, so I don't know what's up :/ I use this virtual drive all the time for PSX/PS2 emulation so I know it isn't messed up. Thanks for your help BTW.

What's the filetype of your disc image? I suggest that you try it with the gdrImage plugin (and direct mounting). For shits and giggles if for nothing else.

.cdi. I just followed your directions and the game loaded up! The first time it crashed shortly after, but the 2nd time it kept running, till I minimized it. When I opened it back up it gave me the select screen. I went to start a game on it and it says I don't have enough memory block space. Is there a file I am missing? Sorry for the seemingly noobish questions... I usually just use save state but this won't let me play without creating a save file.

Also I noticed that everytime I load up the game it asks me to put in the date and time. I don't really care but if it can be fixed I might as well do it. I appreciate the help :huh:

"Not enough memory block space" message in-game means that the VMU/VMS has not been either hooked up or formatted. Make sure that the is at least one VMS set up for Port A in Plugin settings. Then use Demul VMS Manager to create a new VMS file for use (Edit --> Create, give name, Save, Format, OK).

If the Dreamcast menu always asks to reset date and time, your Flash file (dc.flash under nvram directory) is corrupt. Delete it and try again.

"Not enough memory block space" message in-game means that the VMU/VMS has not been either hooked up or formatted. Make sure that the is at least one VMS set up for Port A in Plugin settings. Then use Demul VMS Manager to create a new VMS file for use (Edit --> Create, give name, Save, Format, OK).

If the Dreamcast menu always asks to reset date and time, your Flash file (dc.flash under nvram directory) is corrupt. Delete it and try again.

When I go to VMS Manager>Edit>Create, then I type a name and hit Okay it does nothing. Nothing gets added to the list. Am I doing something wrong? Trust me I just spent 10 minutes looking on Google before asking, lol.

Okay, I read that somewhere else. I'll have to find a new dc.flash. I can't seem to find it on it's own so I guess I'm going to have to download another pack just to get it :/

When I go to VMS Manager>Edit>Create, then I type a name and hit Okay it does nothing. Nothing gets added to the list. Am I doing something wrong? Trust me I just spent 10 minutes looking on Google before asking, lol.

Okay, I read that somewhere else. I'll have to find a new dc.flash. I can't seem to find it on it's own so I guess I'm going to have to download another pack just to get it :/

That "list" you speak of lists the VMS data that's been saved onto the VMS (that is, game saves). If you just created and formatted one, of course the list is going to be empty. Like a I said earlier, click OK, and see that the VMS' filename shows in the VMS Manager under Port A.

Just delete dc.flash and see if Demul agree to run without that file present. If so, then Demul creates dc.flash based on the info it finds in your BIOS files. If not, then you need a proper Dreamcast flash file present, and Demul then creates dc.flash based on the data in the other flash file. Sorry for being vague and indecisive, but it's been a really long time since I've had to think about this stuff.

That "list" you speak of lists the VMS data that's been saved onto the VMS (that is, game saves). If you just created and formatted one, of course the list is going to be empty. Like a I said earlier, click OK, and see that the VMS' filename shows in the VMS Manager under Port A.

Just delete dc.flash and see if Demul agree to run without that file present. If so, then Demul creates dc.flash based on the info it finds in your BIOS files. If not, then you need a proper Dreamcast flash file present, and Demul then creates dc.flash based on the data in the other flash file. Sorry for being vague and indecisive, but it's been a really long time since I've had to think about this stuff.

So when I click create nothing is supposed to happen? Because it didn't do anything in the folder or the actual game. Still telling me to clear blocks. I tried it several times but nothing seems to happen - looks like someone else on some forums posted about the same problem but no one had an answer. I'm saying the VMS file name does not create, so nothing is there to choose for any of the slots. I feel like a total idiot :/ but feel like I'm getting somewhere from your help.

Deleted dc.flash and Demul did run and created the file. It still asks the date though. If this is the only thing that effects I'm willing to deal with it as long as I can figure out the other problem, lol.