Help with NeoRAGEx Patches, please?

Uh, hi, I'm kinda new with this place and with NeoRageX but I got a bit used to it. I even found a patch to use for my Samurai Shodown V Special game that unlocks the Zetsumei Ougis (Fatalities) of the characters. But the thing is...I'm completely oblivious as to how to actually use the patch. I've never had to work with patches until tonight, and I could really use some assistance on this. So I'll conclude my explanation with this: How can I use patches on NeoGeo games/NeoRageX?

Depends on how the "patch" is constructed. Is it a file that's part of the actual romset, only modified (e.g. xxx_p1.rom or xxx_m1.rom) or a standalone executable that is used the original files. If the answer is the former, just overwrite the existing files in the romset with the modified ones. If the answer is the latter, extract the files that need patching to a temporary folder and run the patcher in the same folder - then put the patched files back into the romset

Or, you know, since this is 2010, and there have been far better emulators than NeoRAGex for some seven years now, ditch NeoRAGEx completely and get a good emulator (Kawaks, MAME, etc.) that emulates the Neo-Geo with much better way and uses the proper romsets, which by the way, do not need patching of any kind (seeing how the e.g. "proper" version of Samurai Showdown V Special has been dumped and playable ages ago, just not in NRX due to protections in the game and the rigidness of NRX's design, among other issues).

Also, don't try to get the NeoRAGex romsets you have working on the other emulators though, and vice versa. NeoRAGEx is, how should I put it... special, in the same way that a handicapped person is special in a sporting event meant for able-bodied athletes.

Depends on how the "patch" is constructed. Is it a file that's part of the actual romset, only modified (e.g. xxx_p1.rom or xxx_m1.rom) or a standalone executable that is used the original files. If the answer is the former, just overwrite the existing files in the romset with the modified ones. If the answer is the latter, extract the files that need patching to a temporary folder and run the patcher in the same folder - then put the patched files back into the romset

Or, you know, since this is 2010, and there have been far better emulators than NeoRAGex for some seven years now, ditch NeoRAGEx completely and get a good emulator (Kawaks, MAME, etc.) that emulates the Neo-Geo with much better way and uses the proper romsets, which by the way, do not need patching of any kind (seeing how the e.g. "proper" version of Samurai Showdown V Special has been dumped and playable ages ago, just not in NRX due to protections in the game and the rigidness of NRX's design, among other issues).

Also, don't try to get the NeoRAGex romsets you have working on the other emulators though, and vice versa. NeoRAGEx is, how should I put it... special, in the same way that a handicapped person is special in a sporting event meant for able-bodied athletes.

Oh, I've tried other emulators. Kawaks didn't seem to work for me as much as NeoRAGEx depending on the sprites. (Tried playing Waku Waku 7 on it, all the sprites looked real messed up. Couldn't fix it, so I got off Kawaks.) I've tried using MAME...but how to actually use it to me was so confusing, I couldn't even start the game up, but I guess I should try again since it was like last summer before I tried using MAME. But still, I'm not dumping NeoRAGEx completely, I like it and it's easy to understand. Still, I might as well tell you about the patch and where I got it. I got it from your page.

If you got it from my homepage, then simply overwrite the exiting files with the patched ones. The reason why kawaks didn't display graphics properly wa most likely due to the romset incompatibility I talked about earlier - like I said, thre is really no point trying to get romsets designed for NeoRAGEx to work on any other emulator.

In regards to MAME, yes it can be more confusing than others, especially with some of the changes its Neo-Geo part has undergone in recent years. Another very good and easy to use Neo-Geo emulators are FBA and its offshoot FBA Shuffle. Actually, they're my favorite.

If you got it from my homepage, then simply overwrite the exiting files with the patched ones. The reason why kawaks didn't display graphics properly wa most likely due to the romset incompatibility I talked about earlier - like I said, thre is really no point trying to get romsets designed for NeoRAGEx to work on any other emulator.

In regards to MAME, yes it can be more confusing than others, especially with some of the changes its Neo-Geo part has undergone in recent years. Another very good and easy to use Neo-Geo emulators are FBA and its offshoot FBA Shuffle. Actually, they're my favorite.

Oh, so that's how patches work. Cool, thanks! I'll think about getting Final Burn Alpha, but for now, I'm hangin' with NeoRAGEx.

I have to admit that sometimes NeoRageX does display a better picture. An example would be the new neogeo game Ironclad, which I added to the next MisfitMAME release (coming out next month). But, I made a NeoRageX set, and the graphics were far superior. It's not always the case with other games of course.

Erm... isn't Ironclad a Neo-Geo CD title? Or was it hacked to run on arcade or something? Ithink picture quality boils down to the settings you use, plus NeoRAGEx uses DirectDraw while all the other emulators use Direct3D by default. I could be wrong though, so correct me.