Retro purchases?

VT-Vincent

As of late, I've found myself wanting to buy a lot of retro hardware and as such, I've been browsing around eBay to see what is still out there. I have to admit, I am amazed at what I've seen... sealed copies of classics like Earthbound and Chrono Trigger, sealed consoles of virtually every generation and even some obscure peripherals I thought would've died off a long time ago. Just a few days ago I actually found a brand-new first party Sega Saturn S-Video cable. Up till now, I've been using the cheap generics that fall apart after a couple of uses. If I had the money though, there is so much more I would buy.

So what has everyone else been buying/eying up?

I remember playing a virtual boy display unit for like 5 minutes in Target before I got a screaming headache.

No sane person would want to play games on the actual Virtual Boy, unless he's some collector and just wants the system in his collection.

When did I ever say I was sane? ;)

My post was intended as a general remark, not a direct response to you even though I quoted. Anyway, I prefer people who are at least a little insane. Be too sane, and you start being boring.

Heh, in all honesty though the Virtual Boy never bothered me... way back in the day, I could play it for over an hour without any issues. The two things I found that helped the most were playing it in a dark room and ensuring it was calibrated as accurately as possible. Just about everyone I know hated the thing though and had similar experiences to Inky.

I remember when it was released, NoA hyped it up way too much... borderline false advertising. They hailed it as their first 32-bit, 3D portable. In the very early material, they even tried to claim it was in color! While these things may be true if you stretched the definitions as far as humanly possible most gamers didn't see it this way and felt cheated.

Edited by VT-Vincent

No sane person would want to play games on the actual Virtual Boy, unless he's some collector and just wants the system in his collection.

When did I ever say I was sane? :P

My post was intended as a general remark, not a direct response to you even though I quoted. Anyway, I prefer people who are at least a little insane. Be too sane, and you start being boring.

Please, anyone that claims to be "Normal" needs put in a straight jacket. If you're not at least a little fucked up, there's something wrong with you...

There are only like 6 games on it though. Is it really worth it?

I buy a lot of old school gameboy/NES stuff. I only buy games that I really really like though because you can emulate them on almost anything.

Honestly, it's more for the novelty than anything else... but I do have to say, Wario Land on the VB is one of the better side-scrolling platforms I've played. I would love the chance to go back and play it again.

Just thinking of that era though... isn't it amazing how many failures hit the market at about that same time? The VB had an embarrassingly small game library but so did Tiger's ill-fated Game.Com (I actually used to own one) and the 32X (owned that too).