Time for Windows 7!

VT-Vincent

yes, but it's not really much of a fix. You just need grub (the app itself) installed anywhere: livecd or installed distro; I did it from gparted. From there, start grub as root, point it to the partition where grub is installed [root (hd0,4)], and tell it where to take over [setup (hd0)].

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bios mod here, Win 7 ultimate OEM runs fine on my old Acer aspire (2005)

Either you are defending corporate secret or you are a secret agent, I don't want to know!

I think I'm one of the few people that actually bought my copies of Windows 7 :ph34r:

Yes I think you are the only one who brought copies of Windows 7, but not the only one who got a product key legally. I got mine from the MSDNAA! =)

Nah what you do is take a copy of your BIOS, Inject a fake SLIC line into it and then re-flash it. It works and its convenient. But a loader can achieve the same result without blowing up in your face. If you mod it wrong or the flash messes up your mobo is fucked unless you can get a new BIOS chip. Which is usually a pain and a ripoff. It's also not a good idea if you overclock because it can effect stability. Sometimes things have to be in a certain order I guess.

Nah what you do is take a copy of your BIOS, Inject a fake SLIC line into it and then re-flash it. It works and its convenient. But a loader can achieve the same result without blowing up in your face. If you mod it wrong or the flash messes up your mobo is fucked unless you can get a new BIOS chip. Which is usually a pain and a ripoff. It's also not a good idea if you overclock because it can effect stability. Sometimes things have to be in a certain order I guess.

Yeah that was way before my MSDNAA administrator authorised Windows 7 Professional a 32-bit and a 64-bit both having two different retail product keys, both of these keys are interchangeable between 32 and 64-bit version of Windows 7 Professional.

Yes I'm a University Student :P

Are you aware that some motherboard have emergency BIOS recovery just in case of a bad flash? :D

I think I'm one of the few people that actually bought my copies of Windows 7 :P

Yes I think you are the only one who brought copies of Windows 7, but not the only one who got a product key legally. I got mine from the MSDNAA! =)

At one point, I actually considered subscribing to TechNet to get my Windows and Office licenses but luckily I qualified for their $30 educational offer on Professional x64 so I haven't gone that route yet. Maybe I will when Office 2010 comes out, if they don't provide a free copy to the beta users.

Edited by VT-Vincent

Only takes a few seconds.

If you do not know how to mod the bios, then yeah, it would not be wise. Most loaders are crap anyway.

Unfortunately for most people. there was no point. For the most part, Windows 7 is just Vista with a few new features (and some new problems for now). It was just the marketing department's attempt to make up for the bad reception that Vista had.