DOS GAMES

OneEvilDog

As far as I know the Build games need a powerful PC to run properly in DosBox. So I don't see the xbox being powerful enough. I play Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior using source ports on the PC, and Redneck Rampage and Blood using VDMSound. If they ever release the source code to Blood and Redneck it'd take minutes for someone to make proper source ports of them. I hate Atari for holding the code back.

The source code for Half-Life has been available from it's release, so an Xbox port isn't beyond the realms of possibility. If they can do Aliens vs Predator and Quake, Half Life could surely be done. Half-Life's engine is a modified Quake engine after all. But all these games we've mentioned should be played with a keyboard and mouse if you ask me. So Xbox ports hold no appeal for me. Proper Windows ports of Blood and Redneck do though. Eduke and JfShadowWarrior are awesome, and so is Doomsday for the Dooms, Heretic and Hexen. WinROTT is meh, but that's only coz Rise of the Triad's level design is so poopy.

Never been a fan of mouse/keyboard controls myself...mind you, never really been a fan of PC gaming.

Prefer to sit on the couch with a joypad in hand.

If the source code has been available all this time, it seems strange no-one has ported Half-Life...

I was under the impression Valve didn't release the code.

Have you not seen the huge amount of Half-Life mods? There're thousands. I'm not certain but I think the code was released at the same time the game was, or very soon after. You've heard of Counter-Strike? Never would've happened if they'd not released the source code. That takes me back, playing Beta 1 of Counterstrike. They did the same with Half-Life 2. Code was released very soon after and thousands of mods were made.

Unless there's some specific problem, Half-Life could've been ported to Xbox around the same time Quake was. I don't know, the Half-Life community is 99.9% PC based, so maybe there wasn't interest in doing it.

Half Life 1 soure was never released so there will not be a port of it. They released the souce to the dlls but not the exe. There were a ton of rumors back in 03 or so of a port and again in 05 of a release but it will not happen unless valve releases the whole source.

I am still waiting for deus ex source.

Half Life 1 soure was never released so there will not be a port of it. They released the souce to the dlls but not the exe. There were a ton of rumors back in 03 or so of a port and again in 05 of a release but it will not happen unless valve releases the whole source.

I am still waiting for deus ex source.

Thanks, I knew there was something about the source not being released fully... :(