neogeo aes and mame plus plus

hi having a serious problem getting neo geo arcade mode (aes) running my mvs roms through mame.

seems that kawaks and nebula run the console mode fine, its just an option ya click and bam no problem.

only problem i have with those is kawaks wont read my dpad and nebula wont read the roms!

so aparently this mame plus plus has a console mode option but enabling it wont do dick.

i tried the Asia AES Bios option in mame properties and it wont launch unless i have the aes-bios.bin in my neogeo.zip. when it does run all i get is red and gibbled letters although it sounds like its running fine. why does unibios tell me its running arcade mode when i start it up with those instead? can i get console mode with unibios? wtf am i doing wrong? exausted myself trying everything, please help.

I urge you to try FBA Shuffle (or just the plain FBA for your Neo-Geo needs, as it is faster than MAME and uses the same sets). Is there a reason you're using MAME Plus Plus? To my understanding that particular build hasn't been updated in ages. That might be the reason why you're having problems. MAME Plus! would be a much more sensible option if you must use MAME, but that's just me.

The Universe BIOS bypasses all other machine configurations that have been set by the emulator and uses its own (so if Universe BIOS says that the Neo-Geo is running in European Arcade mode, then that's what the emulator is emulating). You change the BIOS options by going to the Universe BIOS menu (hold A+B+C during boot, IIRC) and make the changes, then exit.

P.S. The Neo-Geo console mode is AES. The arcade is MVS, respectively.